• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jack's VHD injection scab...worse again!

jay

Mama Doe
Just been to the vet with Jack (saw a gorgeous black bunny waiting to see the vet too!). Anyway the vet gave Jack another antibiotic injection and some cream to rub on the scab three times a day. He thinks it not healing bcause Jack is constanly scratching it. He thought it might be ring worm but after cheacking a piece under the microscope he said it wasn't. Am "working" from home today so keeping a close eye on him. He's back next week for another antibiotic injection poor little baby.

Magic had the same problem after the VHD jabs, only he had two huge lesions. I ended up putting a doll's jumper on him and that helped clear it up reasonably well.

Vera

Mines started itching her ear... I think where she had an injection for her spay ... she was itching that one spot a lot .. put a bit of sudocream on it and it seems to be healing well.
Hope Jacks gets better :)

Beany had her VHD last week and I've just noticed a large scab area. I'm not sure I have anything I can put on it here, excpet perhaps tea tree oil, Is this safe for buns? If not, what else can I use? I think she is scratching it :(

Beany said:
Beany had her VHD last week and I've just noticed a large scab area. I'm not sure I have anything I can put on it here, excpet perhaps tea tree oil, Is this safe for buns? If not, what else can I use? I think she is scratching it :(

I tried using the tea tree skin cream on Molly but found she just wanted to lick it off. :roll: You could just bathe it in salty water. The sudocream stuff seems good, that's what my vet recommended for Molly's scab. After rubbing it on, make sure you keep your bunny distracted for a while with treats etc. so that they don't lick it straight off again.

OKay, I can pinch some Sudocrem from work tomorrow 8)

Not even sure it is her VHD scab now - looks like it's lower down and not sure how she's done it :?

Back