• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anyhing different for Nethies??

dragonfly_girl

Warren Scout
This little lady has just arrived with me as a foster after being found straying on the road

PIC_0467.jpg

I have been told she is a Netherland Dwarf??? Does this sound right?

Also I have never had anything to do with a Dwarf bunster before - is there anything different about their care I should know?

Many Thanks

Awwww! Her ears look a little large for a nethie, but she looks about the right size. My Squidgy was rescued from a garden after being left behind when his former owners moved house :cry:
Nethies can be prone to teeth problems, so she may have difficulty eating, I always make sure they have their food chopped up slightly.
Other than that they just seem to poo more than the others :oops: :shock:
She's beautiful, I hope she settles well.

She looks like a Nethie to me - there's several pics in this recent thread:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=19960

They're not vastly different from other buns but one thing they can be prone to is teeth problems, both incisors and molars. My Nethie needs regular dentals as he gets spurs on his molars, and he's had his incisors removed as they were misaligned. But this can happen in any rabbit regardless, so is something I imagine you have checked anyway.

Aaaaaah she looks like my Dudley:
dudley.jpg

Nethies can be more prone to upper respiratory tract infections and dental problems - due to the fact that they are bred with very flat faces. It doesn't necessarily mean that they will have them of course, just that they are more prone to it, so just be aware of both of these issues. HS is quite right on the poo front though, I have no idea where mine manage to put quite so much food!! Hope the little love settles down well :D

yes they do poo for England :lol: And of course they only need half as much pellets as a bigger rabbit - Tia only gets a rounded desertspoon a day, plus a teaspoon at bedtime - the rest of the time she eats hay, and just a bit of veg, slightly less than the bigger bunnies again.

I don't have a Nethie, unless Mocha has some mixed in her, but I do have three dwarfs of various sorts. Mine eat and eat and eat and are still skinny. They each eat as much as my 5lb dutch, if not more, and I still have to watch and make sure they're getting enough. They seem to have a higher metabolic rate, which isn't unusual in smaller animals. Fey and Sprite, the dwarf hotots get a handful of alfalfa hay several times a week too.

Oh and yes, they're all very healthy. They just eat a lot without gaining much weight. Wish I was like that! :lol:

she does look a bit like a nethie but could just be a very young bun..her face doesn't have the full "nethie look"......teeth check and a dwarf/junior rabbit pellet....keep us posted as she is a beauty! :love:

Thankyou for all your help guys - you are wonderful!

Miffy as she is now known seems to be doing really well. She is eating better today and I caught her binkying earlier on when she was out in the living room for a run about!

Back