• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

IMPORTANT!!! PIER ONE products NOT SAFE for buns!!!!!

maherwoman

Warren Scout
VERY IMPORTANT!! I don't know how many of you shop at Pier One for your bunny products (or if there are even any in the UK), but it's worth posting...

I read this at another forum I frequent...

"I know many people have bought willow balls from Pier One to give to their bunnies because they are untreated (ie no varnish).

I went into Pier One yesterday to pick some up, and mention what they where for and the sales lady called up their information line to double check that they are safe. The information line said that the balls are fumigate with PESTICIDES and SHOULD NOT be given to animals."

I also called in to check about the dragongrass mats I purchase, and they told me that ANYTHING imported is fumigated.

So, there you go. If you want to check on a particular product you have to see if it's imported or fumigated, you can call them at:

800-237-1231, then option 3, and continue on till you get Customer Relations. For UK (or other countries) customers, I'm guessing you might have to check their site for the number. I'm completely niave as far as phone numbers in other countries...so please excuse if I'm being dumb there.

The phone call goes much faster if you have the item number (which you can get from their website), but you don't absolutely have to have it.

We're going to go right out and replace Maisie's current Pier One mats with ones from a petstore that are specifically designed for pets.

I guess when all's said and done, getting the mats and accessories specifically designed for animals is the best bet. They're more expensive than things from other places, but bottom line is they probably save you vet bills costs in the long-run. :) :oops:

The website says that the only have stores in the United States, Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico, so us brits remain safe.
Thank you for the info though, it's always vital, there are many members from those areas and who knows how many guests :D

I never buy anything unless it is from a pet site and can guarantee it's safe. In woolworths, The Pier etc, those willow balls look the same but they are for decoration not eating and I wouldn't dream of giving them to my animals. Some of these mats have thread and wire in to hold them together, they could have got dirty, all sorts of things.

I do the children rule, if it's not made for children don't use it as a toy and the same for animals. the chinchilla site has lovely mats and balls, i got mine from there, west willow has willow bits that are safe too. I wouldn't trust anything else, it's common sense really, to be for pets it has been tested and the ingredients are safe, for decorative uses they could be mad of anything and been stored anywhere.

Back