• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Candy's going in for her op tomorrow

runnybabbit

Alpha Buck
I'm so worried and so is my daughter, she's taken herself off to bed in tears and of course I'm very close to tears myself. :cry:

We have a fantastic vet and it's not that I dont trust her, I just cant help feeling like this. Also the other bunny Dobs that I'm getting from Kay is going in to the same vet tomorrow for his op but he's still living with Kay until we can put them together and Kay is fantastic and will know just what to do..... I don't :cry:

What if she wont eat, how do I syringe feed her, where do I get the special food from, what about pain relief and how do I give it, how do I keep her comfy in her cage, do I leave her in her cage after or just leave it open, how long do I wait if she wont eat before I get her back to the vet, is she going to want me around or do I leave her alone and a million and one other questions that keep tumbling through my head.

Sorry, I'm rambling now, just so worried

Awwww I wont say 'dont worry' cos we all do!!
When Candy comes home she will probably still be very sleepy and wont want to be bothered with anything. She will need to be kept indoors for a few days.
You can help her by providing a nice comfy bed of towels/Vetbed (hay etc gets stuck in the spay wound). Post op Buns often prefer a bowl to drink from rather than a bottle.
Gratted carrot, thinly sliced dark greens/dandelion leaves/tiny portion of ROMAINE Lettuce/Fresh Parsley/Basil might tempt her to nibble at some food.
If you can ask your vet the time she had her GA you will be able to monitor how she is doing. She should have started to drink/eat a little and wee/poop within 24 hours of the GA. The sooner she starts to drink the better.
If she has not started to eat/drink/poop/wee 24 hours after the GA you need to ask your Vet for some more pain relief for Candy and if your Vet thinks it to be appropriate a gut motility stimulant.
You could ask your Vet for a few 1ml disposable syringes and some Science Recovery/Critical Care feed incase syringe feeding is necessary.
It is best to wrap bun securely in a towel to syringe feed her. And each syringeful needs to be given SLOWLY.
You can always ask for more advice on here if you are worried. Some Buns recover really quickly and start eating as soon as they get home.
Please keep us posted as to how things go.
Janex

Thanks Jane

I've taken notes of all the things I need to ask the vet in morning cos my mind will just go blank, I know it will.

I don't want to go to bed because it will bring the morning here quicker..... daft, eh.

You only have to phone me, and I will help all I can. Candy will be fine she as got you and amy looking after her what more could a bun want.

I met Karen at the vets tonight as she was picking up Candy and me Dobbs, Dobbs as had to stop in as the little monkey as decided to start chewing at the wound.
I am so glad Dobbs is going to their home as he will be one lucky bun I am thinking of moving in myself :lol: :lol:

good luck to you and your bun i'm sure everything will be fine, everything will come naturally when your bun comes home :) instinct will kick in if anything is up. but like i say i'm sure it will all go smoothly :)

good luck again xx

Candy's going in for her op.... update

Thanks Kay, your all welcome here, anytime.

Candy seems to be ok (fingers crossed) very quiet, has had loads to drink and a couple of wee's and a little while ago she nibbled a small amount of basil, not much but I guess it's a start, no poo's yet though.

As for her nice soft towel and vet bed, she wont go near them and was trying to 'nose' them out of the way, so I have taken them out and she seems much happier.

Re: Candy's going in for her op.... update

runnybabbit said:
Thanks Kay, your all welcome here, anytime.

Candy seems to be ok (fingers crossed) very quiet, has had loads to drink and a couple of wee's and a little while ago she nibbled a small amount of basil, not much but I guess it's a start, no poo's yet though.

As for her nice soft towel and vet bed, she wont go near them and was trying to 'nose' them out of the way, so I have taken them out and she seems much happier.

glad to hear candy is ok kaz, poor thumper has ripped open his stitches and is spending a nite at the vets, thelma is ok she looks a bit silly with a towel round her middle! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back