• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spay, why am I doing it.

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Please, please tell me it will be ok. Holly the bun that came at Christmas is having her spay on Wednesday. I can't help but panic about it, I couldn't sleep last night because I was worried she would die. Also my chinny is booked in for his nuts off. Am I doing the right thing? I choose to put my animals through this and I feel pretty bad at the moment about it and I'm not sure I can go through with it.

Zippy is also having her dental, but it's different for her , because if she doesn't have it she'll die eventually. Whereas my chinny and Holly wont. Why am I making my animals suffer like this :!: :!: :!:

Neuters never get easier, I would of thought I would be use to this by now :cry: :cry: :cry:

I was crying my eyes out about it on Saturday and Bryn said don't do it if you don't want to, but I know I have too.

aww bless you!!

when i dropped Alfie off i cried in the car on the way home. he was risky because he had a snotty nose!!!

I am getting Holly done in June (thats when boyfriend goes away and i can have them in without worrying about him breathing down my neck) i am nervous already, and may get her done sooner just to get it over and done with!

She can be so shy too and has just got very confident with me i am terrified she will hate me for it.

Fortunately i really trust my vet so i know she will be in v good hands.

Holly and the chinny will be fine xx

Just remember that these ops will prolong the length of their lives. Lots of older female buns get uterine cancer which cuts their lives short so spaying will prevent this. It will also stop her body being controlled by her hormones, which will probably make her life a lot more pleasant!
Getting your chinny neutered will enable him to have a friend - which in turn will make his life better and he'll probably live longer because of it. Chinchillas live a long time, twice as long as buns, so it's a very long time to spend alone.
There have been plenty of animals who've had the op with no problems - only one out of my 5 buns had complications, and that was a neuter not a spay, but he was fine the next day!

awwwww, please try not to worry ( easier said than done I know!) I was worried sick about Storm and his op, I cried like a baby when I left him at the vets, but he was fine and bounced right out of his pet box as soon as he came home! :D
I also worried about Gypsy and her spay. They kept her in over night and I couldn't eat or sleep :( She was a bit nervous and jumpy when she came home and I felt soooooo guilty. it took a while for her to eat propely, but thankfully she was OK and I'm glad I had her done as I couldn't keep going home to furry nests in my bed and a little pshyco :lol: she was such a little nutter before, but has calmed right down now.
worrying just shows that you care and it would be very strange if you were not worried about your babies.
My Chin still has his bits! :oops: I didn't know they could be done!. as long as the vet has done this op on a chinchilla before, it will be ok. I would be terrified of taking Chico to the vet, my vet hardly see's a chinny in her surgery!.

Awwww. They'll be fine.

I never give it a moments thought - just ooh, I've got a new bunny, lets go get ya de-plummed. I just consider it as necessary as jabs or anything else. The worst state I've been in was with Flint's abscess. He didn't eat for days & I thought I'd killed him (I was syringe feeding just enough to keep a stick insect alive apparently. Live & Learn!).

Anyway don't unspayed does have a higher cancer risk? So there, you are saving her health really, & Chinny Chin Chinilly can now have a girlfriend :D

Thanks guys, I know deep down it has to be done, but I've never lost one and I've had all mine neutered. I was thinking last night what if I've used all my go's and it's my turn to lose a muched loved pet, but I couldn't stand it, I really couldn't. I feel as if I'm having a panick attack just thinking about it. :(

If you're really worried, why not try chinny with a boy friend instead of getting him neutered?
I have two males living together - they've been together since babies though so not sure how well adult males introduce. Neither really do any sexual behaviour to each other though and they get along fine (whereas with my male buns, none got along before neutering but afterwards I managed to bond my trio of males with no problems).
There's lots of chinny rescues and I'm sure they'd advise you and may even help with bonding a male if you decided to go down that route instead.

The ONLY slight concern I would have is them both being 'done' just b4 a long Bank Holiday Weekend. Vets on emergency cover only Friday,Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
I am totally paranoid and always think of 'worst case scenarios' so your probably better off ignoring me :oops: :oops:
Janex

Karly said:
If you're really worried, why not try chinny with a boy friend instead of getting him neutered?
I have two males living together - they've been together since babies though so not sure how well adult males introduce. Neither really do any sexual behaviour to each other though and they get along fine (whereas with my male buns, none got along before neutering but afterwards I managed to bond my trio of males with no problems).
There's lots of chinny rescues and I'm sure they'd advise you and may even help with bonding a male if you decided to go down that route instead.

Yeah I may post on a chinny site and see what they think?

JCO said:
The ONLY slight concern I would have is them both being 'done' just b4 a long Bank Holiday Weekend. Vets on emergency cover only Friday,Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
I am totally paranoid and always think of 'worst case scenarios' so your probably better off ignoring me :oops: :oops:
Janex

OMG Jane don't start me off again, my emergency vet is rubbish too. I'e used it twice and both times they were rubbish.

Once for Zippy and I used it for Beatrix two weeks ago, she ate a packet of extra strong mints they told me that she would be ok and to make sure she didn't vomit :roll: , if she did she owuld be in the guiness book of records.

Well I'm having Zippys p9e op tonight and her and Scooby are being vacinated. So I'll see what she thinks.

Thankfully my girls were 'done' before I got them and I'm so glad that they were as I would be feeling exactly the same as you are now! It's obvious you love them so much and thats why you're so worried but I'm sure all will be fine.Keep us posted on how it all goes.Sending lots of luck and love.

Thanks guys, well Zip had her pre op last night and she does need doing, bloomin teeth.

Poor Holly and Eddie the chin, are going to have their bits sorted too. I'm a horrible mom :(

SOAD said:
Poor Holly and Eddie the chin, are going to have their bits sorted too. I'm a horrible mom :(

Aww, no you're not! You're doing the very best for them, and it's normal to get nervous. I was so scared when I brought Mocha in for her (yes, her!) neuter, even though neuters are easier than spays. Then I picked her up afterwards and they told me she was a girl... I felt so bad because if I had known I would have waited a little longer. She was pretty young.

I've had three girls done now with no problems. I always stock up on their favorite veggies and treats to apologize. :oops:

You're not horrible Tree!

Its for their own good, if they are neutered then they can have friends and live happily ever after.

And as soon as you get them home and give them a cuddle and a bit of food, they'll have forgotten about it :D

Try not to worry too much, I'm sure they'll be fine

Back