• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny castration

pepper

Young Bun
A few days ago my rabbit, bobby, had an accident in which part of his testicles got biten of by my other rabbit. This left two big wounds which were going a bad colour. I took him to the vets and she say castration. Anyway he is being castrated right now and i have to pick him up at 2.30 today.
Is castration risky in rabbits?
By the way he is two years old next month and he is a dutch rabbit.
Thanks
Kate

It is a fairly routine operation that usually goes with no complications.

My two and loads of other people on here have had their bunnies done and have been fine.

Try not to worry too much, I'm sure you'll find that when he gets home, you'll be more bothered about it than he will :D

Most people on the site have their bunnie castrated (male) or spayed (female) and they then pair them up after a suitable period of time with a bun of the opposite sex.
Both my little boys (brothers) have been castrated and now live apart (as they started to fight as they got older) with a female bunny. So I have two male/female pairs.

When he returns from the operation, he will need cage rest with nothing to climb on or jump off. Just bed him on newspaper as straw will get in his wound. Best if possible to keep him indoors for a few days as he will be vulnerable after his op and not able to regulate his body temperature. Get him eating as soon as possible (to avoid statis) try him with his favourite foods. And just keep an eye on him really. Make sure he is weeing and pooing as normal. My boys had their stitches out after 10 days and were fine.

Keep us posted on his progress.

Rabswood

I've had all 4 of my boys neutered, and only one had a problem. He had to stay overnight as his neuter wound kept bleeding so they were worried they might need to operate to find where it was from, but he didn't and came home the next day.
As long as your vet knows what they're doing and has experience with neutering bunnies, he should be fine. As others have said, it's generally quite a routine operation anyway.

Hi - just read your last post re your 2 male bunnies fighting? It's best if male buns are neutered before they live together, as they have a tendency to go for each other bits. (as you now know!!)

Boys usually have nicer personalities after they've been neutered anyway. If you get them both neutered, is there any way you could pair them up with females if re-bonding doesn't work out?

Hes back now, i put him straight back in his hutch. He looks not fully awake and a little wobbley on his feet. He is sitting still in his hutch. I have put a little bit of cut up apple in there but he hasnt touched it. Will he be ok now, the risky bit is over?
I dont think i will beable to pair them up with girls, they would take up to much room and cost quite a bit too.
rabswood, your cats are gorgeous!
Thanks
Kate

My Alfie just came back from being castrated too. He's all flopped out adn quite content. You need to make sure he starts eating ASAP, cut up some of his favorite food to give to him, Alfie has already had spinach whilst at the vets and carrots since he got home. If he does not start eating by the morning you need to contact your vets as he is at risk of GI-stasis.

Is his hutch outside? He should be in the house where you can keep an eye on him and keep him warm.

Iv just checked, he has eaten some apple and i think he has also had some rabbit mix. His hutch is outside, i dont have a cage to bring him indoors. The vet said i have to take him back in 2/3 days for a checkup.
Kate

At least he seems to be eating. Do you have a snugglesafe you can put in his hutch? Failing that a hot water bottle covered in towels. He needs to be kept nice and warm, especially considering how cold the weather still is. :)

Pepper, how's your little boy doing?

Thanks my kits are rather special I must admit, but then I would wouldn't I :lol:

Rabswood

Back