• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dewlaps and spaying

HS

Wise Old Thumper
THis may seem like a very stupid question, but does having a bunny spayed reduce her dewlap? Ruby's is huge and gets in the way bless her. She has to move it out of the way to eat grass.
dirtyruby.jpg

No its a shame but it wont make any difference. Some poor does do get very large dewlaps, as a rule most respectable breeders are trying with success to breed in a big reduction in the size. Its wise to every now and then feel there dew lap as ive had a couple of rabbits that have had an abccess in there dew lap thats easily overlooked because you dont notice the lump. Being as they touch the ground it could easily get a scratch or small wound from dragging on somting sharp, and this could turn into an abccess. val

Thanks for that. Ruby's a very slight bunny really, yet she has this huge 'growth'. I got her from a rescue and she'd been there a while, maybe she was a breeder's reject? I guess I'll never know!! I'll make sure I check her thoroughly.

I've seen a doe who had a lot of her dewlap removed, but imagine this is probably a bit risky and quite expensive. If it's causing her health problems though then it's something you might want to ask your vet about.

It's not causing her health problems at the mo - she can clean herself ok, but it must be a bit of a nuisance. They're going in for their myxi boosters next week, so I'll ask then.

Karly said:
I've seen a doe who had a lot of her dewlap removed, but imagine this is probably a bit risky and quite expensive. If it's causing her health problems though then it's something you might want to ask your vet about.

i was thinking of getting barbies reduced as hers is huge to. she is on a diet still and the dewlap hasn't shrunk at all - which i thought it might do a bit!!!

im going to the vets in a few weeks as their having their vaccinations done, so il ask about barbies then. it cant be very comfortable for her, having to move it out the way all the time and having to struggle when cleaning herself. although she does look comfy when shes resting on it, its like giant cushion :lol: :lol:

barbieandcharlie.jpg

I think it was Cheryl (sprowston) who had a doe with dewlap surgery last year? Could PM her maybe or do a search.

Every doe I have had speyed has lost her dewlap. Several of them had quite large ones before the op, although not quite as big as hers. So I would think it would help. The only dewlap around here belongs to Hazel, and that is because he is a fatty :lol:

Ambers dewlap has really shrunk since i have had her. It could be because i had her spayed or it could be due to weight loss as she was only fed cheap mixed food when i got her and now she eats mainly hay and grass with a few veg and science selective.

The dewlap is basically just a fold of skin. It seems to depend on the bunny how big it is, Ithink if a rabbit has been very over wieght in the past or currently that can make it bigger too.

I've heard of a few cases where it's been so large the does wasn't able to clean herself properly and it was surgically shrunk. There is plenty of loose skin there so it's basically just cutting a section out and stitching it back together, like a human tummy tuck :)

Tam

i have a huge dwelap, and i am not a bunny :lol:

it dosent get in the way when i eat though :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back