• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

new baby bunny!

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
Hi

I need some help!

Ok so I am getting a baby bunny tomorrow :D . He was brought from a pet shop just a few days ago by someone who no longer wants him :evil:

I already have a 1 year old girl bunny. I just got her a new hutch so I will be putting the boy in her old one. I have cleaned it properly and everything!

I have loads of questions, so sorry if this is really long!

At the moment I have both hutches in the garden side by side. Will they be ok so close to each other if they are not bonded or anything?

I will be letting them out at different times of the day, will it be alright for them to go up and sniff the other hutch and look at each other through the wire or will they just end up getting annoyed?

What age to male bunnys get neutered? my girl will be getting done in a few weeks but I have no idea about males?

Once they have both been spayed and neutered and he is a little older would it be possible to try and bond them? I am getting a run for the garden soon so I would introduce them in there. I just wondered if they could bond if they have been living so close to each other without actually being together?

Oh and would the age be a problem if he is a year younger than her?

I havent got a clue about having 2 bunnys and would really appreciate any help

Thanks

Hey,

Any idea on names yet?

They will be fine side by side, just don't let the male out with your female, you don't want babies!

Having them side by side, should help the bonding in the long run as they hopefully should begin to make friends.

Boy's bits drop at around 14 weeks so any time after they've dropped should be fine, the vets can help you decide when the time is right.

If your female isn't done by the time you've had him done, he will need to be kept apart for six weeks.

Its not always garunteed (Spelling??) that they will bond but hopefully you should have got off to a good start!

Piccies please!!

sillyrabbit said:
Hi

I need some help!

Ok so I am getting a baby bunny tomorrow :D . He was brought from a pet shop just a few days ago by someone who no longer wants him :evil:

I already have a 1 year old girl bunny. I just got her a new hutch so I will be putting the boy in her old one. I have cleaned it properly and everything!

I have loads of questions, so sorry if this is really long!

At the moment I have both hutches in the garden side by side. Will they be ok so close to each other if they are not bonded or anything?

I will be letting them out at different times of the day, will it be alright for them to go up and sniff the other hutch and look at each other through the wire or will they just end up getting annoyed?

What age to male bunnys get neutered? my girl will be getting done in a few weeks but I have no idea about males?

Once they have both been spayed and neutered and he is a little older would it be possible to try and bond them? I am getting a run for the garden soon so I would introduce them in there. I just wondered if they could bond if they have been living so close to each other without actually being together?

Oh and would the age be a problem if he is a year younger than her?

I havent got a clue about having 2 bunnys and would really appreciate any help

Thanks

i neutered all my males at 6months old. the smaller breeds like a nethie i waited a bit longer.

if putting them together i would wait until they have both been neutered and recovered. if putting a male to an un-neutered female you need to wait 6 weeks before putting them together. if its a neutered female to an un-neutered male then i would wait a few weeks until she has recovered properly. however this way may become annoying for the female as the male is not neutered he will probably hump her constantly which can lead to agression.

The age of the bunnies shouldnt matter or size. as my barbie is 5 and charlie is about 10 months and she is a bit bigger than him and they get on well.

introduction should be a slow process. start by putting the runs together so they can see and smell each other. then when putting them togther id put them in a room where neither has been before.

hope this helps

xx

thanks for the replies, they are really helpful!

No I havent thought of any names yet! And I will post some pictures tomorrow!

I will keep them apart until they have been spayed and neutered. I feel better now I know that its ok to keep them close together and try to bond them later.

I was worried that she might be mad if she could see another bunny playing in her garden!

Back