• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Opinions on hutch please...

Hiya :D I must admit I've seen better ones for a similar price - the main issue is really the height - I don't think an average bunny would be able to stand and stretch in 16" height hutch. Remember as well that because of the ladder down into the run, the floor space in the hutch is really quite limited, there's not going to be a lot of indoor space to allow him to stretch out. Personally I'd keep shopping around.

Look at this one, for example - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GIGANTIC-5-X-...758008963QQcategoryZ63513QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem They have a "submit best offer" button which does indicate that they would accept less than the buy it now price, so even with the higher postage, it probably wouldn't cost a lot more than the other one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Flat-Roof-Rab...itemZ7739871827QQcategoryZ63513QQcmdZViewItem

This hutch has almost the area of the combo you are looking at, it costs less and lets your rabbit stand up. There is ample room if you decide to get him afriend and you could get a good sized run to attach to it at a later date if he is going to have free time when you are home. The run on the other one would not allow him any meaningful exercise as it isn't high enough for him to stand up in or to binky and isn't anything like big enough to let him run.

I have three of these and they are good.

My only concern with seemingly ALL hutch/runs is the galvanised mesh. Would a sort of 'double meshing' not affort more protection from Foxes? :? :?
Janex

thanks guys, those two do look really great!

Must admit i had my doubts about the one i posted, its just that someone near by is selling exactly the same one new, made by the same company for £70, delivery included. I was also thinking that if things go to plan it will only be a temporary residence for a bunn i'm trying to find a home for, but it could take a while to rehome him so he should really have as much space as possible in the meantime.

Thanks again, think i will continue looking....
x

mandy said:
it will only be a temporary residence for a bunn i'm trying to find a home for, but it could take a while to rehome him
:lol: if you're anything like most of us here, he'll end up staying! I still have Dudley, who I collected to be passed up to Leicester in October, and he now has his own shed, run and girlfriend :lol: :lol:

Thats what I was thinking Alison! :lol:

I keep telling my boyfriend he wont be here for long, and his response is 'why do you spend all your time looking for the perfect hutch for him then?!' :D

that's a pethouse hutch, and they are just dreadful - so small! They advertise a 4x2x2 as being suitable for giant breeds of rabbit, and won't change the description even though I've emailed them and pointed out that it would be cruelty to stuff a giant rabbit in a 4x2 :evil:

Their hutches are about 16" high, and 16" deep - totally inadequate except for a nethie, or a guinea pig, and that would be the one with attached run. The hutch you've linked to has a floor area of less than 6 square feet - that's smaller than a 3x2 hutch, and depth is very important so that the rabbit has shelter from the weather - height is slightly less important, but they do like to stretch up.

Back