• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

family group/neutering?

colliewoman

Mama Doe
hello guys!
i thought i best start asking advise now so i know in plenty of time!
aspen and babies are happily living with birch now, everything went smoothy and they snuggled up right away, birch is so loving towards the babies it is unreal! they all fall asleep in a pile in their haybox i must get a photo of it!
the babies will be 8 weeks old next tuesday. i have checked them twice to see what sex they are and am fairly certain that i have 3 girlies and one boy. i will take them to the vets next week for a health check and get the vet to sex them as well.
now they are all living together, i wondered what is the best thing to do regarding neutering? i need to get the little boy done first (the girlies will have to wait till i have saved up some more). if i get him done as soon as he 'drops' will that be safe? i obviously dont want to risk him getting his mum or sisters pregnant. or should i seperate him when he is a little older get him doe then try bonding him back in?
i had thought about seperating him and keeping birch with him so at least the boys dont fall out whilst the family is split.
does the 6 week rule still apply for little ones?
i would be very gratefull for any advise!
many thanks
love
donna

I think you'd be best splitting them into pairs - mum and dad/2 sisters/sister and brother.

Neutering a group is a logistical nightmare. Even if I was going to spay my group of 4 sisters, I don't know how I'd get all 4 to the vets same day, the vet wouldn't have room for all 4 in a cage, and I would have to house all 4 indoors for a week, minimum, whilst they recovered :shock: I split Maa from the group when she lost her eye as she had to come indoors for a couple of months, and the bond was lost with her daughters - she attacked them when I re-introduced them.

Assuming you pair the boy with one of his sisters, I would split him at 4 months latest until he's 'done' - It's unlikely he'd get on with his dad long term.

so you dont think they could stay toghether as a family then?
i'm not questioning you, i was just really hoping that they could all stay together :(
oh well, i better start re designing the bunny house to accomodate all the pairs!

well you could try a group, I know Eve (bunnylove) did it, if you want to PM her - but it would be EASIER to have pairs - and I'm all for an easy life! Bonding coward too :lol:

My bun family all live together with no problems. :D

Ok so the babies are only 8weeks old at the moment but they spend loads of time all snuggled together. Guess as my two babies are both girls it does make it a bit easier.

It's such a wonderful sight to see the 4 of them all cuddled up together and it's a really odd sight when they all groom each other at the same time! :shock: :lol: Sooty will be cleaning Blueys ears, Blue will be grooming Sweeps back, Sweep will be grooming Holly and Holly will be sprawled out just chillin' :lol:

Awww Sue that sounds so sweet :love: I guess some bunnies live together in harmony and some not.
Bit like my two cats who are litter mates and at 9 years old still can,t stand the sight of each other :?

Back