• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weird chewing..

Karly

Banned
I was just feeding the buns some green cabbage, and with the toothless trio I tear it into strips and handfeed them as I find something flat like that they can struggle to lift out of the bowl without their incisors.
Rex and Squishy like it in long strips, but Mary always has a chew and then spits it out. However, if I do it in little pieces he'll munch away and come back for more, so I think he's just fussy :roll:
However, I gave him his last piece, and he spent ages chewing it. After about 5 minutes he started 'crunching' on it, alternating between each side of his mouth - like if you chatter your teeth loudly, that kind of action.
He still hadn't finished it after a couple of minutes of this either, and I was a bit worried as it was only about 1.5cm long!
So looking in his mouth, it's still the same length and he started pawing at his mouth as if he wanted it out.
I managed to open his lips enough to pull it out (quite fiddly with his teeny Nethie mouth!) and it's not even chewed at all :?
However I've just put a few pellets in a bowl for him and he's polished them off no problem.
He's had molar problems in the past but had them worked on in Feb, so they should be OK (before that he hadn't needed work on them in about 8-10 months). Could this be a sign his teeth aren't quite right and chewing is painful? He seems to be eating hay fine though.
Or does he just not really like cabbage and was too polite to spit it out ? :lol:

Maybe it was just one of those peices that were a bit funny for him to try and chew?! Its like when we eat stuff i guess... like baked beans when you get the skin of the bean stuck in your mouth! (ewww!!! :lol: )

If he eatss hay.. maybe he was just too polite to spit it out!! :lol:

Hum... my anser was none to scientific was it...

Lets hope for your sake someone with more experience comes along! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:
Well, he's going to the vet tomorrow anyway so I'll ask them to take a look anyway.
I'll try him with some other veg in a minute, we'll find out whether he just doesn't like cabbage then. Maybe due to Nina's presence he thought he better be polite infront of a ladybun :lol:

Benny is also incisorless and has been doing exactly the same thing recently. We have to chop up his greens into little pieces and for the first month or so after the op he managed fine but now it's as though he wants to eat greens but it's just too much effort for him.

He never eats hay these days although I always make sure there is plenty provided for him incase he changes his mind! I've watched him attempt a really short piece in the past and it goes in and comes out again and then he puts his paws up to try and pull it out.

I'm taking him to the vet next week as I think it's his molars playing up. He used to love his spring greens but now just won't touch them. He's definitely not himself. :(

Sorry to hear about Benny.
It's a bit of a 'thing' for me to keep an eye on Mary's eating. He's very food orientated so as soon as he stops pigging in immediately I know something's up.
The first time it was his molars - although he'd had his incisors removed, the vet never warned me that the molars could overgrow or get spurs or anything, so I didn't know this was something I'd need to keep an eye on (bearing in mind Mary was my first bun - I know have 3 buns who've had their incisors out and 2 with molar problems so had to learn about it all rather quickly!)
After that I learnt to notice when his appetite lessened so we could catch the molar problems before they got too serious like the first time.
The next time he went right off his food was at the beginning of this year, and he was very poorly with kidney problems. Possible kidney failure, though fingers crossed we'll find out what it is when they run some tests tomorrow.
I did notice at the beginning of the year he can be fussy about his veg. I had to cut out all high calcium/high protein foods so his veg selection changed quite drastically, and as I introduced the new veg I found out he didn't like quite a lot of them. He's not that keen on cabbage or cauliflower leaves, not mad on a lot of fruit either.
I think they get fussy just to be awkward - as if we didn't spoil them enough already :lol:

Glad to hear Mary's teeth are ok. Benny is going to the vet tonight. He's been so many times in the last six months but I feel really nervous about this visit for some reason. I just hope there's nothing sinister going on, he's been through enough.

Back