• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Kale? sp

As far as I know it is safe, Lucy has eaten it before, I think it's from the broccoli family.

I'm almost sure it's safe for rabbits. I've seen it in a lot of rabbit sites and books that it's okay. Of course, they may not be right, but I'd say kale is okay for them. :)

Be very careful with Kale and don't give too much - as with all veggies make sure that you only give a tiny bit over a couple of days and then watch his poops and make sure he does not get gas.
Kale is very high in calcium so be careful with the amount.
We do not use Kale here as we find it gives our buns gas - as does brocolli and cabbage.

Mine love it but dont have it anymore as i think it caused lilacs bladder probs,as jay said its very high in calicum

:shock: OMG my two bunsters eat it all the time! I guess I should cut down the quantity I feed :( they also love brocoli and cabbage :?

sparklefairy said:
:shock: OMG my two bunsters eat it all the time! I guess I should cut down the quantity I feed :( they also love brocoli and cabbage :?

same here aswell :shock:

although they have it in small amounts 1-2 times a week.

Yup, my buns have had kale in the past - it's a very good source of vitamins for all animals actually. But I did stop buying it once Mary had his kidney problems, as others have said it's high in calcium so does put a strain on the kidneys.

My buns like kale. I don't feed it in very large amounts, though. Mine don't have problems with the calcium in it because they have timothy-based pellets. Calcium levels in vegetables do not compare to the levels in dry alfalfa hay or pellets. :)

Sophie had some and she's never having any again! :lol:

It made her very *aherm* "windy" shall we say?! :oops: :lol: :lol:

My two love it (wind free) too.
I read somewhere that the calcium content is actually very small when the kale is fresh as most of it is made up of water.

Mine have it regularly, one of their faves so always on the shopping list!
Mine aren't susceptible to gas though :D

Jacob loves it but I stopped feeding it as I heard that it could cause alot of problems. Once I was walking back from town and a lady I met en route told me that she used to have alot of rabbits and one got very ill due to the calcium and that I shouldn't feed it. being as I have since heard it alot of times, from numerous sources I don't feed now. There are so many other nice things to eat and it seemed to me that if it can cause problems that it was a silly way to get very ill when I can stop feeding it easily. I wish I could find an official line on this as so many people say it's bad yet so many feed it and I did before I knew this, a couple of years ago.

Since then it's been a no no. I have heard it in alot of places though so assume it must be true. Is it just kale that can cause such illness or are other seemingly inoccuous foods lurking?

I do the poison list but kale isn't usually on it, and I know about apple pips but nothing else 'ordinary' is bad is it?

Just found this on the PETA
UK site

“We’re Vegetarians, Thank You!”
The bulk of a rabbit’s diet should be grass, timothy or oat hay, and fresh vegetables. You may also try giving a limited amount of pellets and a small amount of fruit to him or her. Dark leafy greens, broccoli, carrots, parsley, watercress, bananas, apples, pears, and pineapples are all good choices. Stay away from iceberg lettuce (too much water) and cabbage or kale, both of which are poisonous to rabbits. Like dogs or cats, rabbits may be prone to begging at the table. As tempting as it may be to give your rabbit a taste of whatever it is that you’re eating, rabbits have digestive systems that are easily disrupted, so you should stick to his or her normal diet. Check with your vet before you add other treats.

It says cabbage and kale are poisonous. I'm bewildered, kale isn't good for rabbits but cabbage poisonous, I feed cabbage EVERY day. Am I doing wrong? Surely not?

tomjacob said:
Just found this on the PETA
UK site

“We’re Vegetarians, Thank You!”
The bulk of a rabbit’s diet should be grass, timothy or oat hay, and fresh vegetables. You may also try giving a limited amount of pellets and a small amount of fruit to him or her. Dark leafy greens, broccoli, carrots, parsley, watercress, bananas, apples, pears, and pineapples are all good choices. Stay away from iceberg lettuce (too much water) and cabbage or kale, both of which are poisonous to rabbits. Like dogs or cats, rabbits may be prone to begging at the table. As tempting as it may be to give your rabbit a taste of whatever it is that you’re eating, rabbits have digestive systems that are easily disrupted, so you should stick to his or her normal diet. Check with your vet before you add other treats.

It says cabbage and kale are poisonous. I'm bewildered, kale isn't good for rabbits but cabbage poisonous, I feed cabbage EVERY day. Am I doing wrong? Surely not?

:shock: I feed cabbage to my bun as well. It can't be poisonous, can it???? :shock:

:shock: :shock: Oh dear! Looks like I'm getting it wrong all round! My lot love brocolli, kale and carrots!

If I give them spring greens they all get upset tummies! :( :shock:

Back