• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How risky is spaying rabbits?

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
Hi, as some of you remember, I've taken on a couple of unwanted 18 month old females. After all that I've read I do think I need to get them spayed.

I am more used to guinea pigs than rabbits, and the advice there is always only spay if necessary (ie for a medical reason) due to the risks of anaesthetic. I assume that because rabbits are bigger there is less risk?

My main reason for asking is due to choice of vets. Is this normally a routine operation for vets, or do I need to 'shop around' to get a really good one do you think? Also, any idea of price (roughly), anyone?

I'm glad you've asked this Sarah, as I have been thinking that I really should get Beany done soon... :?

I would say go for it as you will greatly reduce the risk of serious illness' when they are more 'mature ladies' & if you post your area maybe one of us can recommend an experienced rabbit vet for you as it is definately better to go to a vet with experience. :D

i would definatly get them spayed . but i would ask around .
prices vary a lot my vet charges £35 but my old vet charged £85m
Also ask how they close the wound . our vets use internal stitches then glue or removable stitches just to close the skin .

Angie

I'm in the 'only spay if necessary' camp - although there's a high risk of uterine cancer in does over the age of 4, I'm not sure if spayed females actually live any longer than unspayed ones. It's a personal decision, but it's becoming a more common operation for vets to have experience with, so you should be able to find one that does it with minimal risk if that's what you want. Check what anaesthetic they use, do they use a sedative first, do they do invisible, internal stitches, and the answer to the question 'should a rabbit be starved before the op?' is NO!!!' - avoid any vets that tells you otherwise.

elve said:
and the answer to the question 'should a rabbit be starved before the op?' is NO!!!' - avoid any vets that tells you otherwise.

That is spot on!!!!

leanne said:
elve said:
and the answer to the question 'should a rabbit be starved before the op?' is NO!!!' - avoid any vets that tells you otherwise.

That is spot on!!!!

When I used a certain national animal welfare charity for veterinary care for my buns they told me to 'starve the rabbit for 12 hrs before the op' :shock: :shock:
I ignored them.......
Janex

Mine was spayed on monday....
yuh its a hard decision, I came out the vets after fropping her off wondering if I had done the right thing,
I was told there was a 1 in a hundred chance of losing her because of the risk of the anasthetic.. She made it through that, then I was worried she would never eat again or talk to me... but shes got to friday is now eating double her normal amount - But I think thats cos I gave her to much pineapple juice lol.
As long as you keep them inside and warm and quiet after, and try tempting them with their favourites... dont worry if they dont eat til the next day. I would recommend keeping them in for at least the night and the day after. And dont starve them make sure they are eating right up until you take them...
Then they comme out pretty ok.
I would rather a couple of days of worry over routine spaying than lots of heartache over cancer.
Hope everything goes ok for you if you do decide to get it done :)

oops I forgot....
mine charged 44
but I think anywhere between 35-45 is the general price range from what I have read....
Mines in middlesex so nowhere near essex sorry....
But they are very used to doing it...
they are a pet vaccination and neutering centre , plus a vets as well.... which is good for people that dont want to have to pay through the nose to register and get a consultation fee on top... cos you can just come in and get them done lol

SarahP said:
I'm in Witham, Essex, if anyone knows of a good one. Thanks :)

Yuh-huh, I'd thoroughly recommend Melinda Lewis at Bishopscourt Surgery in Springfield Road Chelmsford to do that for ya, she has done several spays for me over the years using internal sutures and they have always been brilliant :thumb: Her consultation "bedside manner" maybe isn't as softly softly as some other vets but technically she is brilliant. Just before Christmas she did my Dudley and that was £40 including teeth check (whenever I get a bun neutered I ask them to check their teeth at the same time - vets can only get a really good look when under anaesthetic so might as well kill 2 birds with 1 stone!), not sure how much a female spay would be now, I guess they'd tell you over the phone - it is certainly one of the cheaper surgeries around these parts, which is a bit of a result as I think they're great!

I seem to recall the two bunnies you've taken in are a bit on the tubby side? It's probably better that they lose some weight before being spayed - both because the more fat they have, the harder the surgery, and also I believe it makes the anaesthetic stay in their system for longer so they recover more slowly. I'd pop them down for a consultation with Melinda and see what she thinks.

If you need more locally, I've heard that Spring Lodge, Powers Hall End, are supposed to be good, although I have also heard that they are very expensive. I've never used them so can't personally vouch for them or for a particular vet though.

AlisonA said:
Her consultation "bedside manner" maybe isn't as softly softly as some other vets but technically she is brilliant.

Funnily enough, one of our vets is like that, she would never 'coo' over the buns but she seems to know her stuff!

She's ok with cooing over them, she just likes to call a spade a spade. I can't imagine her saying "well perhaps you should consider maybe cutting down on his pellets a tad as he does seem to be a little on the portly side", she'd say something like "my God he's huge, you really must stop over feeding him" :lol:

Thanks so much, Alison! :) Yes, I wondered that too about their weight - they have lost a bit already, but I wonder if I need to wait a bit before I have them 'done'. Will give the Chelmsford vet a go, I think.

Oh, one more thing - it's a long shot, but do you have any idea whether the vet knows much about guinea pigs? I've been going to a vet in Tiptree that seemed to know more than my vets in Witham (Brookend), but I really need a 2nd opinion on one of my 2 piggies. I have been recommended a vet in Wickford, but that's obviously some way out for me.

If you've got enough carriers, I'd book a mass appointment and take them all along. I don't have piggies so I'm not sure if she knows a lot about them, but given her rabbit knowledge I'd be very surprised if she didn't have a fair idea, she does seem fairly open to examining all the options. Best ring up and ask - there is a certain veterinary etiquette about seeing another vet for a second opinion, they might well want to talk to your normal vet about the piggie first, so make sure you tell them that he is registered elsewhere.

Good luck!

Back