• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When do you feed your bun veggies.?

I have read in a rabbit care book that it says to feed your rabbit their veggies in the morning.

Is this gospel or is anytime ok ?

silly4sows said:
I have read in a rabbit care book that it says to feed your rabbit their veggies in the morning.
Really :shock: Does it say why?

I feed mine veg last thing at night, as it gives them something to munch on when they aren't out around the garden. If I fed them loads of veg first thing in the morning, I'm not sure they would graze as much, as their tummies would already be full!

I give mine their veg in the evening as i just dont have time in the morning to prepare it all!

Spring greens/cabbage at breakfast time. Herbs/Dandelion leaves at tea time and then a plate of allsorts at bedtime which is a mixture of greens, herbs, cucumber, a bit of apple/banana or grape occasionally. What nonsence about specific times of day, rabbits/hares etc don't starve all day and only eat breakfast, seems absurd to me. :shock:

I thought it seemed absurd to but just wanted to check with other rabbit owners to see what they do.

I have been giving morning and evening, same as my guinea pigs. Would have felt really cruel is Chester couldnt have had any veggies at tea time when all the pigs are wheeking the heads off for them.

Mine usually have them in the evening, but sometimes get some during the day (more so at the weekends when I'm not working). I doubt it makes a difference - rabbits are grazing animals so their gut is continously digesting their food. I don't imagine wild buns thing "Oops, better not eat that carrot now, it's not breakfast time yet!"

I just feed at random times during the day. It's never set. Though I guess it'd be around tea time (5-6ish) when I go in the fridge.

My two get theirs in the morning and then again in the evening at 8pm. They know that's their dinner time and if it gets to 8.15 with no sign of food, they start getting really frantic and excitable and jumping all over me and the settee! :lol: :lol:

Kahlo gets her dried food in the morning and her veg last thing at night. It tempts her back into her cage, and gives her something to do when we go to bed.

Mine get a couple of handfuls of whatever is going from the fridge or fruit bowl when I open their hutch door in the morning, they graze all day then they get whatever im cooking for dinner (usually 2-3 veges) & a small hand of excel....hay is topped up every night for them to munch on when locked in their hutch...

The book may have just said that because most wild bunnies optimum grazing period is early morning & early evening, they maybe felt it wise to advise people to do it in the morning as its easier to forget in the evening as a lot of people are very busy! Maybe :? :lol:
so I wouldn't worry about it...

Mine get theirs around 5/6 at tea time then their pellets at 8pm

fresh hay and grass in the day sometimes they get pellets in the treat ball in the morning

Candy gets her veg twice a day, morning and night. Although I do give her a small amount of dried food at the same time she only eats a little of this and its her veg and hay that are her main diet.

I give Maisie her veggies at night right before I go to bed, so she has something to occupy her while I'm sleeping. They're always completely gone (not even a trace) by morning. :)

Mine get half their pellets and an assortment of veg morning and evening. It gives me a chance to check on them then. They seem to like the routine.

Back