• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Constipated Rabbit?

RT

Young Bun
Hi

I think my rabbit is feeling under the weather :( She is much quieter than normal this evening and is spending a lot of time stretched out (she does do this when relaxing but its more than usual). She is also twitching her tail a lot and her nose is virtually inactive compared with normal.

I also noticed that she seems to be spending quite a bit of time on her litter tray. I was wondering if she could be constipated and if so, is there any thing i could do to help?

we recently changed her food. We probably did it a bit quickly in hindsight but she seemed fine until today. I also gave her a bit of apple this morning which she gets occassionally and loves but could this have caused a problem?

Any suggestions gratefully received, thanks

apple would be unlikly to be the cause of constipation.
has she passed any pellets at all?
or does she appear to have trouble urinating?

Is your rabbit eating, drinking and pooping? It is worth changing the litter tray to a nice clean one so you can keep an eye on her output. Fill up the bottle to a mark so you can observe fluid intake. What does your rabbit's abdomen feel like? Can you hear any gurgling noises?

If she is not eating or pooping you would be advised to seek medical advise. If you are not sure try her on lots of food which she likes and try and tempt her to eat as much as possible.

I do hope that your rabbit does not have any gut problems. Do let us know how she is.

Janice

She does seem to be going to the loo but she cant be tempted with her usual treats which is very unusual. She managed half a carrot drop and usually goes mental for them. She doesnt want a raison. I might go and get some basil. If she wont eat that i will be really worried.

Cant hear any noise but will go and listen

Still no improvement. Wont touch a thing food wise and is being very miserable. Thought she might have been making a purring noise when i stroked her, bit quieter than her usual tooth grinding cos she is happy noise.

At what point should I consider going to the vets?

I would say as soon as you can get to the vets really :? Tummy probs in bunnies can be very serious.

Hope your bun is ok xxx

PS. Do you know how to do a search? You might find some helpful past posts, they might have some helpful tips :wink:

I suggest you phone your Vets out of hours service for advice NOW.
If your Bun has reduced gut motility the apple she had may be sitting in her tum and starting to ferment which will give her a nasty tummy ache.
Hopefully you will receive some good Veterinary advice tonight.
Janex

Thanks for the info. Funnily enough I left her hutch lid off as I went to fetch the vets phone number and when i got back she had jumped out. She is now bouncing around the living room. She still wont touch any food but to be honest she wont usually when she is out of her hutch. She seems a lot brighter all of a sudden which is good! I hope she eats something soon though.

I havent tried the search facility, sorry, but i have located it for next time

possibly she had a bit of wind stuck in a bend in her stomach and it's passed through with no help - Benny went like this once, then suddenly there was a gurgle, he sat up straight, and was fine! If it goes on like this for more than a few hours though, you should see a vet as they need painkillers. A lot of people give infacol, gripe mixture for human babies with wind, and gently rub the tummy as that can shift the wind through.

Back