• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sticky Bum

without_halo

Alpha Buck
Hi

Ginny at the moment has a case of sticky bun. We have stop all veg and they (Ginny and Ron) have been on hay and pellets now since saturday.

The trouble is she still has a sticky bun..... is there any thing else that we can do.

I think she might be a bit on the chubby side and not cleaning her self properly.

Or would a quick trip the vets be advisable.

Any idea would be appreciated

It is usually the pellets which are the problem not the greens. I would cut down the pellets until you can reach an acceptable amount without the problems. Not sure what pellets yours are on, there have been a number of bunnies on here who have Excel which have had this problem, these have either been cut down or switched to another food to resolve the problem.

Try switching to Science Selective if they are not on it already. just small amount at first and keep up the hay...you could add probiotic to the drinking water just to top up the healthy bacteria in their gut....give it a few more days and you should see a difference :D

If things dont improve with all suggestions already made I would ask your Vet to check her over. Particularly her teeth (Buns with early dental problems often get a sticky bum) and also check that she does not have any spinal discomfort which would make eating her caecotrophs (soft poops) difficult.
Janex

My 2 use to suffer from sticky bum`s but i changed them to SS and since then they are fine.

They also have good quality hay loads off and veggies.

Back