• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Undescended testicle op?

anon101

Banned
Hi Folks,

My Nethie boy Howard is now 7 months old. Two months ago he went to the Vet for his neuter op and was diagnosed as we expected with an undescended testicle. They said give him two months to see if it will make appearance.

Two months later he still has an undescended testicle and as far as I can see it shows no sign of appearing.

My question is do I leave him a few months longer to see if it appears or should I take him for his neuter op and let the Vets retrieve the undescended testicle resulting in a bigger operation?

I’m extremely worried about him having the bigger operation, as he is such a tiny little thing.

Anybody know what the actual op involves?

Thanks,

Louise

i would let the vets do the opp as it can lead to cancer if his plum dosent drop my nethie midniht had a majour opp yestrday hes come throw fine he just ver sor eand not eating or drinking anougther story

Two of my neddies have had to have undescended testicle ops. The op is no worse than having a doe spayed. In mine the vet basically cut a tiny slit to look for the testicle, found it and neutered them as usual. They have both been much happier since.

If it hasn't appeared by now, it's probably better to have the op and get it taken out, then he can have friends and less discomfort.

Claire

I would agree with everyone else & go for it sooner rather than later, if the vet is happy that he is ready for the op :D

well it depends on the bun and what the vet says may be phone them up and see what they say is best for you and the bun

I wouldn't have thought there was any harm in a few extra months as cancer is probably not a big risk until he's a couple of years old. How about giving the vet a call to discuss it? It might be that a it's unlikely to drop if it hasn't already but you could give him a couple of extra months to fill out a bit more :)

Tam

catswhiskas said:
George had the same problem. To be honest he was as right as rain in no time!

my bailey was the same . none the worse than his brother gizzy who had a more straight forward op - but I also heard that it can cause cancer if its not removed .

Back