• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Got to get her eating

ok now its not the stitches that are bothering me its her lack of eating....
I have been syringe feeding her pineapple juice and baby food throughout the day... she has eaten a couple of strands of hay and has eaten some carrot tops.
Do you guys think this is ok... seeing as she only had surgery yesterday and is still a bit tired...
Also I went to the vets and she gave me some special pellets to mash into the baby food to keep her gut working, which I have done.
Anyone have their girl spayed - How long does it take them to get back to normal?
I am just being a bit of a mother hen at the moment I guess! lol
Shes now hiding under my bed, I think to stop me feeding her and to go for a bit of peace and quiet.
Any advice is always greatly received :)

with peach it took her 3 days to eat like she always did as for midnight his opp was today so hes still not eating at all or moving poor bun

I think if her tummy's not empty she'll be fine in a couple of days - it's when they starve themselves and fill up with gas, then it all can go wrong - sounds like you've given her plenty to keep her stomach working :)

Is she drinking much water?

When was the op done? If she's still quiet I think it might be worth asking the vet for some more painkillers and maybe a shot of something to keep her gut moving. At least she's eating something so that's a good sign, but syringe feeding will stress her out so personally I would rather try painkillers which may encourage her to eat by herself.

Hope she recovers quickly!!

AlisonA said:
When was the op done? If she's still quiet I think it might be worth asking the vet for some more painkillers and maybe a shot of something to keep her gut moving. At least she's eating something so that's a good sign, but syringe feeding will stress her out so personally I would rather try painkillers which may encourage her to eat by herself.

Hope she recovers quickly!!

Ditto.

Our Vet gives Metacam(pain relief) and Metoclopromide (gut stimulant) routinely post spay. It makes a HUGE difference. I would ask your Vet for these Meds for your bun TONIGHT.
Janex

i,ve got two males but the day they were done they were both eating the same night (however may I add that they are two little piglets at the best of times) .
As she has been munching a bit now and then I would say to possibly continue with the recovery stuff until she is eating more on her own . I,m no expert tho so why not just see what the vet thinks . The fact that she is eating a little tho is good and every bunny is different in how quickly they start to eat again .

i wish midnight would at least drink it looks like in going to have to get the seringe out and grine dup spme pellets got no baby food in

Kerry have you given Midnight a bowl of water as well as a bottle, they often find that easier after an op. It's probably worth starting to soak some pellets in warm water now - far easier than trying to grind them, after half an hour or so they should be nicely sloppy! Hope Midnight starts drinking and eating soon xx

Awwww thinking of midnight...
Mines not a huge drinker anyways but shes enjoying the pineapple juice so I think thats keeping her hydrated.... after I posted this I left her a whole carrot with lots of top lol... and she demolished it, and she seems a bit more awake...
I have just read on lots of sites that they take a while to get up to their full eating habits... apparently the danger is when they eat nothing at all... and I know shes been eating something... so I think I am a bit less concerned... I am leaving her under my bed til bed time just so she can chill out... I will go to sainsburys tomorrow and I will buy her some more of her favs for her to eat.

Back