• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dried fruit

pinkgirly

Warren Scout
I've noticed that some pet shops sell bags of dried fruit.
At the minute I'm tucking into a bag of Asda great stuff dried apricots, can buns have one of these or am I just being silly thinking about that?

they can but as a very small treat and i wouldnt do it regular when friuts are dried the sugar content concentrates i believe, no good for teeth!

Eve x

i dunno but mine have treats of dried friut and seeds but only in very small amounts like you would with sweets for a child. id say only 1 apricot or 1/2 a one. depends on your buns. mine have cast iron stomachs apparently.......see what everyone else says but i cant see why not?

Yup I was worried about the sugar content.
I might give her half but knowing my fussy little bun it won't be good enough for her anyway :lol:

I got a packet from the pet shop for rabbits... she only has a bit of it occassionally more because I keep forgetting to give her any lol

Most dried fruit has sugar contents, like dry mango, raisin, etc. Although raisin is good for a rabbit as there is iron inside.

The dried apricot in the supermarket I visited, can't taste any sugar contents inside, I try it myself. So it's pretty good for a bunny, as it's a treat, but no sugar taste.

Mine all have it & love it (not much though), but I bought the dried veg bits the other day for a change & none of them would eat it.

One of the vets at the practice I go to said that raisins are bad for rabbits' stomachs, and that they shouldn't have them at all.

This was when my boyfriend and I took Hope in for a follow up injection to get her gut moving as she hadn't been eating - and my boyfriend proudly announced that he'd managed to get Hope to eat a raisin that morning! :no: :oops:

Have to admitt I still let them have the odd one or two as a treat though - they're just dried grapes after all. The sugar is more concentrated, but surely a raisin only has the same amount of sugar as a grape, just shrivelled into a smaller space. :?:

Some dried fruit does have added sugar and oil though.

Anna x

Back