• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Brussel Sprouts...how to give to my bun?

maherwoman

Warren Scout
Ok, I bought brussel sprouts for Maisie, but I'm not sure how to best serve them to her. Do I just hand them over, entirely whole, or do I remove the core/bottom? I really want to give them to her, but I don't want to give her a part that she can't digest...know what I mean?

Tried her out recently on carrot-tops (tried carrots before, but not with the tops). She prefered the tops to the actual carrots! Do your buns do the same thing?

Also tried her on alfalfa sprouts...but she waited until they were dry to eat them, then I was too afraid for her to eat them. Are they ok for her to eat dry?? She snubbed them when they were fresh.

Thanks for answering my questions, guys! :)

My rabbit doesnt like carrots... only when shes desperately hungry, but carrot tops she absolutely adores.
I tend to peelof some layers of sprouts when I give them to her.... she just plays with them then ignores them when they are whole :)

Why, Why, Why would you do that to your rabbits. Brussels sprouts are not for eating!!

(cept mashed up on toast with chocolate sauce, when pregnant)

Angie65 said:
Why, Why, Why would you do that to your rabbits. Brussels sprouts are not for eating!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I usually give them in halves. However, if she's not had them before, just peel her off a few leaves and see how she gets on with them.
I love sprouts!

Angie65 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Am i the only person on this planet who `LOVES` brussell sprouts?! :oops: :lol:

My buns love brussels - I just throw them around their shed, hide them in their hay basket and they have to find them.
They are low in calcium so a good alternative to kale.

If she's had cabbage before, she'll be fine eating brussels - if not then just give her a quarter - I chop mine in half and then half again lengthways, so the core holds the leaves on - they can't get a grip when they're rolling around, although it makes a good toy I guess :)

I love brussels - must try them mashed on toast WITHOUT choc :?

:lol: ooops i think im a bad mummy again! :lol:
i sometimes put them in even attatched to the main stem! i just think why cut veg up for your buns? make them work for their dinner! bunnies lives can be a bit dull without food to forage for??

ELVIS said:
:lol: ooops i think im a bad mummy again! :lol:
i sometimes put them in even attatched to the main stem! i just think why cut veg up for your buns? make them work for their dinner! bunnies lives can be a bit dull without food to forage for??

Me too - I put whole apples into their shed - it is really funny watching them chasing it around.

Angie65 said:

Huh?????? It was on the list for things that are okay for rabbits to eat...was it wrong??

Edit: Oh wait, I get it...I'm a bit of a dolt sometimes. Lol...

cannonwoman said:
Angie65 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nope I love brussels - they're well tasty. I am always the one who finishes off the left over sprouts after Christmas dinner.

Molly likes to be fed brussel sprouts leaf by leaf. It takes a while but it's very cute to watch her nibble in such a dainty fashion.

Piper just devours the whole thing like it's the last bit of food he's ever going to eat. :lol:

Hmmm...ok so I took a couple leaves off and put them in, as well as the rest of it whole, but she barely sniffed at it. We'll see what she does...:)

I usually cut sprous in half so they can get a grip on them. I'm sure the'd figure out a way to eat a whole one though.

I really want to eat sprouts now. And cabbage. Mmmmmm.

cannonwoman said:

Nope, I love then too but the rabbit....not a chance..... if looks could kill, thats it you know the one :lol: :lol: :lol:

runnybabbit said:
cannonwoman said:

Nope, I love then too but the rabbit....not a chance..... if looks could kill, thats it you know the one :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmmm...maybe that's the look I've been seeing lately on her....hmmm... :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Back