• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Strange Nail

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
I have posted before about Nala's nails as they grow twisted.. possibly due to them being overgrown before I had her. :? For ages she has not really had a nail in 'little finger' position on one of her front feet, however when i just clipped her nails i found that it is now growing but it is growing pointing upwards and not forwards :? Do i need to do anything? Her nails are very dark so its hard to see where the quick is.. i usually just cut a little bit off the other nails about once a month but not sure about this short one..anyone any ideas what i should or if i should do nothing? :?

Just cut it. Recently, I notice my lovebird has abnormal long grow nail -- One of the nail on her toes is definitely much longer and it grows very fast.

By no big deal, just cut it. You have to in any case, the nail may snap or it may injure the bunny w/ it pointing up. Just cut a bit at a time.

But because its only just started to regrow its alot shorter than the rest so not sure where the quick would be :?

If it's not causing her a problem then don't worry about it - just nip the end off to keep it short. One of my piggies has an extra toe, dangling by a thread of skin, but it doesn't cause her a problem that I can see, so I'm not worried. Her mum has a strange kind of nail growing out of the side of her foot (obviously it's a genetic abnormality) but again it doesn't seem to cause a problem, so I haven't been concerned, other than keeping an eye on it to make sure it's OK.

Hi,

i heard that is there nails are coloured and you don't know were the quick is, get someone to hold a flash light under the nail, supposidly (I have never treid it) that works, keep some, baking soda near by in case it starts to bleed!

Well hope everything works out!

my bunny's nail is black, so I can't see, I doubt even under the sun. So what I did is cut a little bit at a time, usually once every 3 weeks.

Back