• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Injury

SammieHernandez

Warren Scout
My two bunnies had a bit of a disagreement this morning which resulted in some fighting...they appear to have kissed and made up now but one of them, Lagos has some fur missing around his head and the patchs are pretty red...I'm not sure if they're bleeding, I don't think so and if they are it's very very little...he doesn't seem bothered about it either but should I be worried? Is there anything i could or should be doing for him? :?

Yopur vet would probably tell you if it's only a graze and they're not bothered then just keep an eye on them. Watch out for shock though.

My rabbit had an accident over the weekend and needed stitches but that was only because it was a gaping wound.

My advice would be just keep an eye on them and make sure the wound is clean.

It sounds ok ,as long as it isnt bleeding... probably had his fur pulled out a little to hard... I would try maybe a very tiny bit of sudocream where its red, but apart from that just see how they go .:)

if you dab some cooled, boiled water with salt dissolved in it, on with a cotton wool ball that will clean it - if it's deep he may develop an infection and need antibiotics, but hopefully it's just the skin.

Vetzyme do antibacterial powder which you can dust onto wounds too - just try to keep it clean.

He's finally let me close enough to clean it a little and it is bleeding slightly :(

I'm going to keep trying to clean it and if it's still weeping by the time my husband gets home I'll see if we can take him to the vets. :?

Like I said, he seems just fine..binkying all over the place and they're both cuddling and kissing again so I think everything is alright I just don't want it to get infected or anything.

I just hope it looks worse than it actually is. :(

Just incase anyone wanted to know, Lagos seems fine this morning so I'm just going to keep cleaning the wound as best I can.

I'm keeping a close eye on them both of course and we've noticed that Blossom is being a bit of a bully so something might have to be done about that but for now everything is fine :) *phew*

Has Blossom been spayed? If not, it may be worth considering as this may make her less of a bully and calm her down a bit.

Neither of them have been but I think they're both a bit too young for it at the moment but it's something I do want to do.

And we've got a feeling that blossom and lagos are both boys so naturally they're going to be a bit boysterous :roll: I know, I need to change blossom's name if (s)he is a boy :p My husband and I joked that (s)he could be our drag queen bunny :lol:

How old are they? you really need to make sure that they're both the same sex. One of each and you'll end up with a baby bunny explosion!!

If they're both boys they both need to be castrated as soon as possible(at about 4 mths or when their balls drop) or they'll end up really seriously hurting each other!! SERIOUSLY it can be really nasty.

Take them to the vet (or ask someone experienced with rabbits) if their balls have dropped. If they have they can be castrated and they need to be done as soon as they have otherwise if they are 2 boys they will fight (that might be why!!) or if one is a girl she might already be pregnant.

You really need to find out what sex they are - if they're old enough to have left their mum, they're old enough to tell what gender they are!
You can tell by carefully holding them on their back, and press just above their genitals. Something will pop out for both of them, so don't assume they're boys automatically. However, they'll be shaped different. A female will have a sort of triangular shaped bit, which will be split from the middle down towards the tail. The male will have a longer (err, and more male shaped!) bit, which will have just a hole on the end.
If they are both boys, you'll need them neutered ASAP as even siblings can fall out when their hormones kick in.
If they're male and female, you will definately need to consider seperating them, and get them neutered and spayed quickly. Animals are fertile a lot younger than most people expect, and you do get the odd one that hasn't read the rulebook and gets pregnant much earlier than normal.
Males are fertile for up to 6 weeks after having 'the snip', and you won't be able to get it done until he's developed enough, which is usually around 4-6 months. So if you got him neutered at the earliest date possible, say 4 months, he'd still be fertile until they were both 5 1/2 months old, which is old enough for the female to get pregnant.

I believe that they're both boys but something always confuses me when I try to take a look at their genetalia :oops: Whenever I press down it does protrude and then with enough pressure a little slit type..thing opens up at the very tip. That means they're both boys right? If the slit went all the way along it would be a female? :oops: :?

Also, does anyone know roughly how much the vets charge for spaying/neuturing? Obviously it'll be different in the US but I just want a rough idea.

The slit isn't all the way across but goes from about the middle across half the length of it. If you do a google search you can probably find some photos to compare.

Back