• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How does a rabbit eat and drink wearing a lampshade??

toffee

Mama Doe
My boyfriend has just phoned to say he has had to put the lampshade the vet gave us on Leon because he tried to pull his stitches (he had to have external stitches on his wound).

Trouble is, how can a rabbit eat and drink with it on? I've suggested putting long food like celery on the arm of the chair so he can get it inside the lampshade and prop the water bottle up on the chair and put his hayrack in ftont of him.

Will he be able to get enough like this?

Apparently he's looking very sorry for himself.

Alfie had to weat a lampshade and it didn't bother him at all!!

I had a water bottle and water bowl for him, it was awkward for him to eat but he managed - use a big bowl and fill it right up! i also hand fed him too.

You could try taking the collar off just to let him eat, maybe he will be so interested in the food that he forgets about his stitches. Also remember that with his collar on, he won't be able to reach round and eat his caecatrophs, so you will have to collect them and offer them to him, mmmmm! :lol: :lol:

This evening I'm planning on taking it off for a bit so he can have something but I really want him to have it on as much as possible because he's already undone the end of the stitches and my boyfriend had to tie it up again.

He's been eating and drinking and pooing so he's ok. I just want to make sure that if he's hungry he's got something to eat.

My boyfriend has now taken the lampshade off and is just watching Leon very closely. I'll put it back on before he goes to bed.

You don't want him to pull the stitches or else there would be an infection. Having said that, the truth is, over here in North America, there is no external stitches in surgery. Every stitches done is internal sew together. So there is nothing to pull.

Anyhow, handfeed the rabbit, it's the easiest, use syringe feed w/ baby food if necessary. (make sure baby food has no meat contents)

The vet had to do external stitches AS WELL as internal stitches because the wound is on his knee and so there will be a lot of wear. She has done a fantastic job and it all looks really clean and tidy.

He managed the whole night with his lampshade on and managed to eat some spring greens and loads of hay last night. He's being closely monitored without the lampshade at the mo by OH so he can have some pellets and water (he doesn't like water from a bottle, only a bowl).

Back