• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Couple of questions

Dan_K

Warren Scout
Again I am procrastinating from my dissertation, but Bob has been in his pen in fornt of me all afternoon and it's made me think of a question.

He seems to groom himself quite a lot. While I'm happy because he's nice and clean and smells like roses (well kinda) I was wondering if it could be excessive and what the reason could be. He is a lone bun at the moment and I was wondering if it could be boredom as he has been pretty quiet in the past couple of weeks? He will be getting a friend as soon as I get my paper out the way.

Also, I've just seen a thread about the amount of space needed for a bonded group of 5 buns and it made me think of something else. I was also wondering if there are any particular pitfalls of introducing a 3rd bun into a bonded pair, i.e. are they more likely to fight? I'm kinda a glutton for punishment and think it might be nice to have a whole posse of buns but not at the risk of fights breaking out.

Anyhow cheers peeps back to my paper!

Don't worry about grooming, my girls spend all day grooming their coats. If I stroke them I get a look like "hey, I've just cleaned that spot!". :roll: :lol:
P.S Write your essay! :lol:

My two do it too - all the time tidying themselves

PS am meant to be writing final year essay/presentation too!!!

Well I've hit the 1,500 word mark just now which is 10% of the way and I have another month to get it done. Just need to do 300 words a day now and it's all sorted.

Easier said than done though when I got Bob to keep me company! Oh and a full time job and loads of bunny questions I keep thinking of!

Dan_K said:
I was also wondering if there are any particular pitfalls of introducing a 3rd bun into a bonded pair, i.e. are they more likely to fight?
I think it very much depends on the personalities of the individual buns. One of the rescues I know only rehomes in pairs, as she believes that in groups, the bottom bun in the hierachy is often depressed and not allowed to develop its full personality, also it can be harder to keep track of the health of individuals within a group unless you are home all day.

I guess it really depends on the bunnies though, some would take to it absolutely fine and would enjoy being part of a group, others would be better off in a pair. Personally I'm sticking with pairs, it's obvious that they are happy and I wouldn't want to rock the boat by trying to introduce any others!

OK thanks for the tips. Bob's sitting there grooming himself again I guess for a young lad I should be grateful he doesn't mind the odd wash!

I don't think I would get more than a pair I just find them all so cute, it just seems weird that fighting seems to be relatively common despite buns nbaturally living in groups, though I guess it's a bit different in the wild when there is more of a natural hierachy.

I think buns do fight in the wild, but they also have a lot more space to escape from each other and have their own natural "territory" boundaries so I guess it's a bit different.

you seem to be worried by the fact that he's quieter these days - I would say he's settled down, trusts you, feels at home and is a chilled bunny! 8)

I've only ever had sibling pairs and groups, but I believe that opposite sex 'marriages' work best as pairs. I adopted a group of 5 girls, mum and daughters, so I cheated - it is cute to see them all together - I just gave them supper and left the back door open and they were all lined up on the doorstep waiting impatiently, with the dark night behind them - looked priceless! :lol:

Of course there's more rough and tumble with a group - Maa got in the way of a race between the girls last year, and the hay in her mouth got pushed up into her gum from the blow, causing her to lose her eye where the hay worked its way out (to the vet's astonishment), £350 of vet bills and she had to be permanently seperated from the group - And as for bonding a group, well don't ask me as I'm too scared to do pairs :roll:

Yuh go do you paper....
is that your bunny pic ? he is sooo adorable...
you know what they are questions I have to ... but I think 2 will be alll I can handle... going to be getting her a boyrfriend in the summer... Hence why shes being spayed this moment as we speak.. good luck with the paper and finding him a girlfriend

I would keep it easy and just go for a male/female pair.

Sure he'll be an even happier rabbit once he has the right lady bun :) to keep him company.

Rabswood

Yeah that's Bob in ny pic, here's a better one:

I know I've posted it before but just in case there's any single bunnygirls out there looking for a handsome batchelor!!!!!

DSCN0693.jpg

Back