• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites question

tonyfoster

Young Bun
The male bun we have rescued has mites and it may transpire we need to visit the vet, is there anything we can do until this happens to alleviate the problems ?

He has had a couple of cleaning sessions with some rabbit shampoo with instectide, which may have helped a little but not too sure. Maybe its just the washing action that is helping and its a waste of time with such shampoo and inevitably

We haven't experienced this problem before, only fleas (which we use the monthly treatment on the back of the neck of all our animals for), so I wasn't sure on the approaches to this problem other than waiting for the opportunity to get to the vets.

Is the best and only thing the injection I hear that is used to clear away all the mites? How do the mites infect the rabbit and is there anything recommended that can be done to prevent it happening ? (where do mites come from?)

(for instance I have fully washed out his hutch not just dusted it out - I guess unless this is done and care with other places he has been he could be reinfested).

Many Thanks

Mites can come from Hay

Have you got a Pets At Home near you? They sell a small animal spot on with Ivomectin in which is supposed to be very good.

Failing that a trip to the vets is necessary, I believe Ivomec is the only and best thing that works properly

Mites can also be carried by other animals, such as wild rabbits. Or rabbit mites may hitch a ride on other animals.

Ivermectin works very well. In the US, we usually go to a vet to get the right dosage. I don't think we have a small animal version sold in pet stores. I've only seen it sold for horses. There have been a few bad reactions from rabbits, but it's rare and treatable if it's caught quickly.

Many, many Thanks for that.
:D

Ivomectin is the thing we will look for at Pets at Home - which we do have in our town.

The mites problem seems to have subsided on the little guy, but we will monitor and this is the first thing to try - before the more expensive but perhaps inevitable vets option if it doesnt dissapear completely.

If you do end up having to take him to the vets, remember to mention that you have used Ivermectin on him, just in case the vet gives him more and it results in an overdose.

Mite infestations can indicate a bunny with a depressed immune system so if the problem comes back again relatively quickly after treatment, it's probably worth getting him vet checked as it could be an indication of another problem.

Sure, thanks for that will do it makes a lot of sense and could easily be overlooked, I will let my partner know also as she tends to be the bossy one when it comes to making the arrangements etc! :lol:

I was going to say as well but forgot - it seems to be clearing up ok without any possible need for it but we will buy it anyway as its useful to have a first aid kit for such things without having to go out for them.

It could be that the clean out, and the bathing with regular flea shamp plus the change of environment and perhaps a much better diet, might be just enough to have helped him over it - or not. We'll see!
The hair also appear to be growing back from where he was seemingly biting himself/scratching as well.

Seems to be working fine, and is very cost effective (in fact much cheaper than the equivalent for fleas!).

Thanks so much for that and bunny love from bunny too as he must be feeling better as a result, certainly looks/feels much better.

First I noticed with one of mine was a bald patch between his shoulder blades- he had Cheyletellia Mites caught from the Hay.

I was given Xenex Spot On from the vet to use, was meant to use for twelve weeks but only did two :oops:

It cleared up fine though.

In a white bunny you should be able to see flea dirt, little black specs, Bald patches are sometimes a good indicator of mites unless you have bunny that routinely pulls fur out, excessive scratching at a certain point, often you see scabs at the point of scratching.

Hope that helps!

P.S I'm not entirely sure whether you'd see 'Flea Dirt' with mites :?

Back