• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi

tonyfoster

Young Bun
I think I have to post here before I can post in regular forums, as I am experiencing some problems ...

I have mislaid my existing account unfortunately so having to start again since it won't send reminder to my NTL email!
My girlfriend also had problems registering here - maybe its a NTL email problem !!!

We are owners of Fuzzy and Snowball, our 2 house rabbits and have introduced ourselves before.

In addition we have very recently rescued 3 other animals kept in appaling conditions however we are likely to have them rescued to a well reputed rescue. Although we are falling for the poor things already!
We took them off the persons hands, who thankfully was thoughtful enough to at least look for a rescue.
However on experience of looking for the right rescue I am glad she accepted us to temporarily rehome and act as an intermediary to perform this, as she would'nt have cared who took them on,

I personally can vouch that I wouldn't take to just any rescue, I did some background work to find the best one (even though its going to cost me personally, which may not be "fair" but as far as Im concerned, its their welfare that is the priority).

Some are better than others, on a scale sometimes there are the worst possible rescues that are no better than petstores, and then there are rescues that do their best within their resources but may differ on certain approaches. Under advisement we have opted to for the time being at least temporarily rehome the animals until a very recommended rescue is able to afford space for any of them.

I would like to post this on the relevant page for rescuing, but if I get the same message as I did trying to post there last time (something about not enough rights!) it may be a waste of time so I thought I would just take a moment as part of my "reintroduction".

I broke by back almost literally y/day just cleaning out the tiny hutches properly provided with the buns (std 4ft ish minimal hutches), as I don't think it had been done properly when we were given them complete with hutches a couple of days ago - they came over with bedding in.
It wasn't until I went to see a gig last night, the pain overwhelmed me as well. Tall people - Damn back problems!

Its not til you come to clean out time you really gather quite how awful an experience it is to do, on a hutch that has been left like this.

Having scrubbed them out as much as possible to dispell the lingering smell to them, I made sure to refill with a combination of paper, straw and litter in each corner (Megazorb) - this will help make the clearing process a lot easier next time (much more frequent cleaning that was performed by the last owner is on order)!
The cages are currently sheltered in my double shed, either left open for fresh air or shut for some shelter overnight.

Needless to say, where possible we have transferred them (seperately) to the confines of open air run/s. They love running around in each others proximity. However they are all segregated because none are neutered, (two females one male) but the male also has a bit of a case of mites which we are monitoring.

They have also been treated to a new diet for them probably, of tons of fresh untreated grass, hays, fresh diced carrot, apple pieces, a few dandelion leafs, and chudleys. They seem to be loving their new diet and the change of mix does not seem to have caused any problems.

I am hoping I can get the photos up here with details of each bun but I don't think the intro side is the right forum. I will try again on the rescue part of the forum. (repeating the text of this post if necessary).

Cheers
:D

I now understand why I was unable to post in the rescue related forum which is pretty daft of me!! Doh. I didn't spot the stickies.

Having said that, I am not looking for a rescue or anyone to rehome the animals.
Although - it transpires to me that if a loving home was present for them, we could keep in contact and PASS this information to the rescue we have contacted in Rugby so they might know that a home may be available in advance of them having places to actually hold the bunnies!!!
We are going to have to wait at least 2 week before we can have a chance to get them in there.

We will NOT solicit any requests to rehome the bunnies as we cannot guarantee the person asking has more sinister background, I think an experienced rescue are the best people to character check.

I wonder what the best ettiquete is to continue on this basis, I think I may contact and detail the bunnies description when I have time and put them on the rescue forum - rather than putting their details on the stories and photos section.

hi and welcome sounds like the buns have had a lucky escape

im awating the arival of a bun today at 3

Good luck with that. How is it going ?

We have been letting them have a little run.
Weather has been unpredictable, good to poor so had to opt for tent pegs to hold the run down and a tarpaulin to keep the rain out!

Having said that one of them has the luxury of our 6ft cage for shelter and attatched run, usually reserved for our own bunnies, although I think they are a little overwhelmed with the size of a "normal" cage compared to the pet store jobs!!

Oh and I forgot to mention, they seem to be loving it being out. Binkies have been reported.
The male is however a bit excited and even face to face through run he is displaying very sexual behaviour to both females, as he is yet to be neutered.

Lol. Male bunnies are so funny.
I saw similar behaviour just by stroking his back!
The same behaviour was seen by both of us while in the run but my other half thought at first he was having a fit.

However, he doesn't seem to share the unnerving behaviour of his brother (the first rabbit we had, which was rescued from same said family who thankfully, have no rabbits now), which he still does from time to time.

He (fuzzy) occasionally runs around, sometimes after the cat, making "huh huh" type noises (though sometimes can be on our bed or wherever). Only one thing he is short of is a raincoat :lol:
Strangely, he doesn't do this with his new companion, they seem to be more buddies than anything.

Back