• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Major hair problem its everywhere!

I can't keep his molt under control and there is hair everywhere. I brush him but it doesn't pick the hair up so i use a kids nit comb and it wont either, it does a bit but I can see hair just sitting one the top and it comes off in my fingers but it slip through the brush. So the I noticed the haur stuck to a blanket I have so I used it to pat him and some hair came off but not enough. His hair is all in his cage and I keep having to vaccum/sweep it all out.

Its really scary how much comes off him onto my tshirt but I just can't get it off him when I want to.

I've found two good ways of getting loose fur off rabbits. One is to get your fingers slightly wet and work them through his fur, gently rolling those little loose clumps out. The fur rolls off your hand when you rub your fingers together.The other is a rubber brush called the Zoom Groom that pulls out more of the loose undercoat. When I do this, the fur tends to fly everywhere so I hold the bun and stand above a waste basket.

Zoom Groom:
http://www.petcarecentral.com/ko-117.html

My routine is to use wet hands, then brush, then use wet hands again.

And I vacuum a lot! Rabbit fur gets everywhere! :shock:

Using wet hands is a good way to get off excess fluff, I use a cat flee comb and a slicker brush, I've got fluff EVERYWHERE at the moment :lol:

I know this sound daft but I have found stroking candy while I have rubber gloves on (I wear them when I'm cleaning her cage, which is how I found out) seems to get off lots of loose hair, she also thinks they are great fun and plays around rubbing her face and chin on them, so does some of the work herself and enjoys it.

I was going to suggest a Zoom Groom too. It's the only brush that Evo will toleratte, and it gets off loads of fluff!

If it's coming out like that, pluck him :) I don't mean literally rip the fur out but the loose bits usually come out in tufts particularly along the bum. Just pinch the fur between your thumb/finger and pull getly, hard enough to get the loose stuff caught in his fur but not hard enough to pull anything still attached.

Flea combs work well too as they have fine teeth.

Tam

Tamsin said:
If it's coming out like that, pluck him :) I don't mean literally rip the fur out but the loose bits usually come out in tufts particularly along the bum. Just pinch the fur between your thumb/finger and pull getly, hard enough to get the loose stuff caught in his fur but not hard enough to pull anything still attached.

Flea combs work well too as they have fine teeth.

Tam

word of warning! once you start tagging at those tufts you can't stop!

:roll:

I agree with the tugging method! I'll plop said bun on the picnic table outside, sit down and have a pulling session and remove all the loose fur. A word of warning, definately do it outside! The garden is covered in rabbit fur by the time I'm finished :lol:

yes once you start on those tufts theres no getting away :twisted: poor Fudge his under the boiler in the end, but his coat looked much tidier :lol:

:roll: I agree with the plucking, grooming with a brush barely does anything so I always say to my brother or friend if she's around that I'd better go pluck my buns :lol:
Also wear old clothes as the fur will stick to you like glue, the worse thing about having a black and white rabbit is her fur shows up on anything and has a static charge :lol: and yes it is addictive :oops: they usually get frustrated before I do.

I've seen those brushes so does the fur actually come out with the brush or does it just make it easier to get with a wet hand?

When i see one of those clumps poking out I try to grab it but its always then that he wont let me touch him, he can read minds!

Maa's in a major moult too - the wet hands is good, and I've been using one of those brushes with tiny wire teeth - do they call them slicker brushes? But plucking was best - although Maa looked like she wanted to bite my hand after 15mins of being plucked :shock:

toffeepudding said:
I've seen those brushes so does the fur actually come out with the brush or does it just make it easier to get with a wet hand?

I can get a pile of fur the size of Evo off him when I use a Zoom Groom! :lol:

Can't wait to get one. The wet hands works but it is so messy and I can't do it outside because we have mosquitos at the moment and being in australia as you have heard I don't hav the vaccs.

Back