• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi - newly adoptive rabbit parent here

schmoo

New Kit
Hi - newbie here :wave:
About a month ago we acquired a rabbit - we found her in our garden, she is very obviously an escaped pet as she is very tame and friendly but we cant find who she belongs to. Anway as we have adopted (and named her Missy) her we got her a nice hutch and she's been fine. On and off her poo has been a bit runny - this does tend to be after having green food - and if I dont give her any for a couple of days she's fine again. Do rabbit need green food eg carrot, celery..? Otherwise her diet is a mixed rabbit food and hay
Second thing..today I opened her bed area and it's full of her fur, almost loike she's made a bed out of it, she looks a bit scraggy but not ill or anything? DP reckons she's moulting cos of the warmer weather. Is he right or should I be concerned? She also ransacked the downstairs part of her hutch?
Any hints or help would be great. I have books but find that nothing can match experience.
Off to read more of the site now :)
Susan

hi are you keeping her?
if she looks scruffy then yes she is probably moulting or she is probably pregnant or having a phantom pregnancy which they sometimes do in the spring, infact i have a buck outside busy running around with straw in his mouth making a nest :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol: but if shes stray i could be shes prgnant is shes make a nest! turn her over gently and see if her underside is still inact with hair! if shes a little bald she could indeed be pregnant!

when did she start? if you have had her for more than 32 days and she hadnt given birth good news is she wont and its was indeed a moult!

anyway welcoe to the forum!

Eve x

Hi welcome to the forum.
Its great that you have been able to give this bunny a lovely new home. I hope she doesnt turn out to be pregnant and that she is just having a phantom pregnancy.. maybe you should get her checked out by a vet and booked in for a spay op if she isnt pregnant. Good luck!

Ransacking is just the rabbit way of redecorating :lol:

Mine do it all the time :roll:

Rabswood

Back