• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

injection scab getting worse

jay

Mama Doe
When Jack had his injection for VHD two weeks ago he had a really bad reaction and a large scab has now formed. He keeps scratching at it and it bleeds every time he does this. The vet saw it on tuesday and said it would heal but I'm still worried about it. It's not infected but I don't want it to get infected.

I wouldn't suggest putting anything on it, it might make it worse. I guess the best thing to do would be to keep an eye on it and if it seems to be getting a lot worse rather than better, take your bun back to the vet!

Candy had a bad reaction to her VHD, which scabbed and was very red and inflamed, to be honest she lost most of the fur across her sholders.

When I took her back to the vet he was about to give me some cream when I realised that I recognised the packaging, it turned out to be the same thing that I use on my daughter eczema, he told me to use that as it is just a purer version for human use as the one he was going to give me. So there is something your vet can give you that will clear this up.

As soon as I started using it, it started to improve and cleared up fairly quickly after that. Just wish the fur had grown back properly. She now has this band across her sholders that is like baby fur and a totally different colour to the rest of her...... not to worry, it dosen't bother her and it's really nice and soft to run your fingers through...... lol

The best thing to do when getting the vhd jab is to ask for one needle to draw up and one for the jab itself, this prevents it coming into contact with the skin and stops a reaction (most of the time!)

runnybabbit - what is the cream that you used on your daughter called? My fiance has eczema and has a couple of creams that he uses - might be the same one? Jack has lost some fur - more is comming away at the moment. I think its just itching though, not sore as he's still bounding about and eating really well.

Back