• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lilly Has runny eyes - again :(

Vianne

Warren Scout
Hello,

I am just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. One of my rabbits lilly has runny eyes, ive practically lived at the vets with her over the past few weeks.

Even though she is on a perfect diet, her teeth needed clipping which was a shock, and she has had to have her tear ducts flushed a few times. All this white goo has been running out of her eyes and she is on her second round of drops (now antibiotics) as she didnt respond to the 1st ones.

I bath her eyes every day as the fur has come off and her skin looks sore. Theyve dried up a bit now, but it just doesnt seem to be going away.

Anyone else had this problem?? and does anyone know of anything else i can do??

Sounds like the roots of Lily's molar teeth may have grown incorrectly and are now pressing on the duct and blocking it. Once this has happened it cannot be cured but the symptoms can be managed by daily eye bathing, applying vaseline around the eyes to protect the delicate skin and, if infection is present, antibiotic eye drops/ointment.
If Lily had her molars burred a few months ago they may well need doing again. Perhaps you could ask your Vet about checking this. To establish the condition of the molar roots a skull X-ray would be required.
Janex

Thanks!

Yes I think that may be the problem. It is just so disheartening. The thing is that Ive had her for nearly 4 years and have never had this problem before, sio I am confused as to why it has just started happenning now....

I mean if her teeth grow incorecctly wouldnt this have happened from the start?

Thanks!

How do you guys bath/clean up their eyes? Blossom has taken a turn for the worse today and has started getting yucky eyes but she won't let me hold her enough to clean her nose or her eyes :( I was using a damp cotton bud to try and wipe it off but because she won't stay still I can't do it and there's not enough resistance and I don't want to upset/scare/hurt her :(

Any tips?

The thing is that Ive had her for nearly 4 years and have never had this problem before, sio I am confused as to why it has just started happenning now....

I have exactly the same thing happening with my dwarf lop Max. He is 31/2 years old. He has recently had his molars burred and has now developed runny eyes. He has had 2 different eye drops and a course of baytril, but still has the problem. The vet is sure it is his tooth roots pressing on his tear ducts. I must admit I am getting worried as he is eating very reluctantly now - the only thing he will eat is pellets and porridge - not any of his favourite veggies or dandelion leaves.

Jane

Back