• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

any snuffles advice needed so bad

caismeister

Alpha Buck
my rabbit starbuck has been treated for snuffles with both baytril and septrin and hae has has a nose swab which confirmed pasturella.nothing seems to be helping him i know it cant be treated but if it can be kept under control that wouild be great. it seems to have spread to his eyes now as white stuff is around it similar to the stuff coming from his nose. my vet reccomended an x-ray to check for a mouth abcess but surely he would be off his food if had an abcess. also worried about agreeing to x-ray as will have to be under GA and his nose is bloked quite a bit. if anyone can offer advice would be helpful[/b]

Poor starbuck,

I am sure alot of people on here can offer very good advice!!

pasturella can affect the eyes too (so i am told). If his nose is blocked aparently it helps to get some olbas oil on some tissue and put it near his cage/hutch.

Also, if he is an indoor bun turn of the central heating as snuffly buns do benefit with some fresh air!

Also, you can put him in the bathroom while you have a hot shower and the steam will help his nose to unblock.

I hope he gets better soon

Bonnie x

You could ask your Vet if they would agree to prescribe Penicillin INJECTIONS. I too would be concerned about a bun with 'active' snuffles having a GA.
You could also ask your Vet about prescribing some antibiotic drops for your buns eyes. Something like TIACIL. Bonnie is right in saying that fresh air is important for Snuffly buns.
You can help protect the skin around your buns eyes by bathing them daily with cooled boiled water. Then dry the surrounding skin/fur as much as possible and apply a thin layer of vaseline. It will act as a barrier to the sticky discharge.
Hope your Vet can help get your Buns symptoms under better control.
Janex

Any tips for how to clean up around the nose and eyes for a snuffly bunny? Blossom has taken a turn for the worse and now has stuff around her eyes but she won't let me hold her to clean her up. I've tried using a damp cotton bud but it's difficult and there's not enough resistance against it to clean her up...Any tips? I don't want to hurt/upset/scare her :(

This sound just like what happened to our Fudge, discharge etc, Ceptrin/Baytril wasn't helping and our vet just didn't know what to do, this went on for nearly a year when our vet put us in touch with a exotic vet.

When we saw him he said straight away it was his front upper tooth roots but would do blood test etc just to be on the safe side, i mentioned about doing a test for Pasteurella but he explained that it wouldn't be worth it as all rabbits have this to some extent and the results would only come back positive.

Anyway the X/Rays comfirmed it to be his front teeth so another date was fixed for then to be taken out which he did a month later, so we returned home with a toothless bunny and more Ceptrin/Metacam, a day or to later his eye started to get wet but the sneezing had almost stopped, a month past and the eye dried up and the sneezing had stopped altogether

We finally gave him his last bit of Ceptrin and managed to go two weeks untill his eye started leaking, his nose was a little damp but the sneezing and discharge stayed away, it was at this point that we noticed he'd started to regrow a new tooth so we had that taken out plus at the same time a hole was drilled into his upper jaw done and some sort of antibiotic gel put in the hole, so he went back on the Ceptrin/Metacam for nearly two months, well he came of the drug in mid November last year and to this date he's had no problems, eyes dry and so is the nose, i always feel at the back of my mind that it will creep back but atleast i know it's managable with drugs.

At the time i felt terrible about having his teeth taken out but you'd be amazed how he went from sneezing 20 times in a row with so much gunk coming from his nose that you could have filled a table spoon up, and then to stop suddenly the monent the teeth are removed.

The point of my dribbling on is to maybe give you or anyone else a little hope, for us it's been a long and very hard slog that's gone on for almost two years and it's cost us well over £1'500.00.

Hi

My Mischa has had snuffles but it took a while for it to be confirmed cos at the start she was sneezing and there was no discharge. we thought it was an allergy but when the discharge started we got her on antibiotics. this didn't really work so the vet took her in for tests doing mouth x rays and swab before it was confirmed as snuffles. they also cleared her eyes for her and since then she has been fine. just a couple of weeks ago she finally had her hysterectomy done and she has come through that. next stage is to get her outside on a permanent basis as i think being outside helps particularly as the heating is on full until the warmer weather does arrive!!

My dylan had snuffles around christmas and the vet gave him injections believe it was tetracycline every 3 days. It really helped and then his immune system did the rest. I asked what the injection was and why and they said it used to be used lots and then animals developed immunity and generally people started to go with baytril. Now baytril is not effective for snuffles they are trying tetracycline. Whatever it worked!

Back