• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is there any way of knowing if a female has been spayed?

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
Sorry if this is a silly question, but my 2 females that I've taken in are 18 months old and I keep reading that I should get them spayed. I really don't want to get into the conversation with their previous owner if I can help it (for various reasons), and I wondered if the vet would ever be able to tell if they had been spayed??

I think the vet can tell if he shaves their bellies, as there is usually a scar. Maybe he could tell with ultrasound or something similar, too? You'd have to call and ask.

I think it would be an X-Ray, not entirely sure though :?

Hope Jane will be able to shed some more light on this

My vet said that you can sometimes feel a scar line but other than that it's pretty impossible without sedation/GA. Most female rabbits aren't spayed though, so I'd usually assume that female bunnies aren't.

Thanks for the replies. :) I'm 99.9% sure that they haven't been really, because of the way they were kept, and that they hadn't even had vaccinations etc.

Ok, so my next question is, is it too late to have them spayed at approx 18 months of age? I want to prolong their lives as long as possible. However, if I do get them spayed, I want to get them fully fit first, so I won't be having them done just yet.

No, it's not too late. Fey and Sprite were spayed when they were a year and a half with no problems, and not a single concern from my vet as long as I had their bloodwork done for kidney and liver function done. Shelters here routinely spay girls that are 5 or sometimes more.

Back