• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay racks

ive recently purchased some hay racks so now all my bunnies have them...

the hay racks are never empty. should i still be putting more hay in their hutches even tho their hay racks are full? (as before i used to put loads in each day and i think most of it ended up as bedding)

toffeepudding said:
I would use straw as bedding and hay in their racks. What do they live in? Are they litter trained like cats?

they do have straw as their bedding... i think you may have mis-read the question

basically i was asking if i should be giving my rabbits more hay, even though their hay racks are full?? as rabbits should be given a body-sized amount each day.

Sophie and rudy both won't eat the hay at the bottom, the looooooove fresh stuff I put in at the top, I top it up 3-4 times a day! :D

I don't use straw at all - just hay, which gets topped up twice a day - they don't have it in a rack as it's in their litter trays - they enjoy searching through it and get very excited when I give them a fresh bundle - I use it to get the girls back into the shed as they love it so much. Yes they trample on it, but in the process it keeps them occupied looking for the best bits, and they enjoy it so much more than if it were in a rack. I hate the idea of hay racks really :(

Lolly won't eat hay out of the rack either, she pulls it out of bed and eats it off the floor. I think this is more natural behaviour for rabbits as wild rabbits spend all day foraging and don't have hay racks!

Yeah, I went for the hay racks idea for a while but so many of mine wouldn't eat the hay out of them, they'd rather eat it off the floor, owkward bunnies :roll: :lol: It is only natural though...

Hayracks aren't unnatural per se as in 'the wild' rabbits don't have nice piles of hay put in front of them everyday. I grow cat grass for my cats and Jacob and that involves stretching up a bit and pulling out the grass by it's roots, that is a natural act and hay racks mimick that pulling act.

Last time I looked at wild rabbits they didn't have piles of hay, nor food in bowls, nor water in bottles or bowls, nor greenstuff cut up, washed and put in front of them etc...!

Back