• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbits and hamsters

vanessa

Warren Scout
I know this might sound like a silly question, but I would like to get a hamster and was wondering if the smell of it and the cage would bother my houserabbit and make him lose his litter training or is that just if I brought another rabbit into the house? Obviously the hamster cage would be cleaned out regularly and it will be placed off the ground, but bunny might still get a whiff of it and he never wees where he's not supposed to and I don't want him to start! Apologies if I'm being thick by asking, just like to check these things to save hassle!

my buns are fine with hammie as fort he litter traning mine till use theres and digbies only been here 3weeks

My buns like to watch my hamster, they are facinated by him!

I think I saw pics from Dan_K of his bunny and hamster sitting together!

Harry likes to run in the bunnies cage, and he steals the bits of pellets they leave on the floor...who needs a vacuum cleaner when you have a hamster :lol: :lol: :lol:

His cage is on top of the worktop, and their cage is under it, both hammy and buns are fully litter trained :D

I used to have a hammy and a bunster, and both were fine in terms of toilet habits. They met once - hammy bit bunny on the foot and from that point on the rabbit was scared stiff of the hamster, so we put his cage in the corner of the room that we didn't want our rabbit to go! It was a brilliant method of rabbit-proofing! They used to watch each other from afar..... :)

Casper and Kizzi love watching the hamsters.

Now that Casper is outside and Kizzi is inside she has taken over the "evening watch" which basically involves standing on her back feet for ages looking at them both.

Tia used to live in the guinea pig room, and she scent marked outside all their cages every time I let her out - So long as you put your hamster cage up high, your rabbit probably won't do this - my cages are on the floor.

Our hamster cages are up next to the tv on the unit. So they are above floor level and the buns have to stand up to see them.

When I still had Fuzznugget the dwarf hamster (RIP little buddy) I let him run around in his ball while the buns were out. He liked to run towards movement, so he would run after them and bump into their butts. :lol: He didn't bug them too much because he prefered to run on the slippery bathroom floor that they hated. He liked sliding his ball around on it.

Now in case you ask, I know some people don't like those balls. Fuzznugget loved his ball and got really excited when he saw it. I never had to put him in it, he went in on his own and waited for me to put him down on the floor. He also had big boxes to play in, but he didn't feel safe on my couch even with blanket tunnels to hide in.

Our hammies have those balls and they love them.

We've got ones which are designed to make sure there is no danger to their little legs :)

Back