• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cant Have Hay/Grass

baobao

Young Bun
hey all

if you read my previous thread my cute baobao had to get his back right leg amputated due to an injury caused by my friend. Just want to say that he is back now and he is still very lively :D

anyway the vet said that i wont be able to have grass/hay in the cage since it might cut his wound and cause infection (still on stiches until the 10th of april). I have heard that grass/hay can prevent the teeth from overgrowing so i was wondering will he be fine for the next 10 days without it. If not is there a subsitute i can give him or any ideas i could use

thanks a lot

Aaron

If it is suspended from the roof of the cage it shouldn't be able to get to his foot but then i suppose he will pull it out to eat and might leave some on the ground. What about hand feeding? If you have a bunch in ur hand he can nibble on that and you are there to make sure none is on the ground. What if you suspened it from the roof or side in a hay rack and were then there to pick any up off the ground? The best thing to do would be to listen to the ideas people will post and then call the vet and ask.

i could always hand feed him but i am not always there you see (stupid full time job)

But the hay suspended on the cage is a damn good idea, i am sure a few strand of hay in the cage wont be big problem.

Or would it?!

I suppose that it would only be a problem if he was walking on a mound of hay. Hay is a very important part of a bunny's diet so i would recomend giving him hay when you can atleast keep an eye on him.

I had to do this when Fey was hurt, as she had a large tear in her belly skin and they couldn't sew it up perfectly because it would pull too much. My vet said hay in a hay rack was okay, I just couldn't let much get on the floor.

It's good to hear he's doing well after his surgery!

how about the hay cubes they are small squires of conpresed hay they should be ok for him as they are cubes and dont brake up

I have a hay rack which I got from a pet shop. I think the vet meant sleeping and walking on hay would not be good. Haycakes, which are compressed hay are a good idea. You will need to get them by post. Try SPH supplies.

A quick alternative is a tissue box or shoe box filled with hay with a hole in the top so they can pull it out.
Mine love the haybix, timothy hay cubes.
Glad to hear he is feeling better now

A hay rack sounds a good idea. Hay, is really an essential part of the diet. It's full of fibre which is what helps keep their gut moving. With the stress of the op and I imagine anti-biotics, that will be important :)

Well I got an easy idea: why not just hand feed the bunny w/ hay, say once every 4 hr.? If he doesn't finish it, remove all the hand held hay and wait for the next 4 hr. window.

Back