• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Saw a bunny in a pet shop!!!:(

Took my son to his hospital appointment today and on the way theres a little pet shop,we went in to have a look as wed have been to early for his appointment.
To my shock they had a lovely floppy eared bunny,but in with a piggy!!
The worse thing was a big bowl of rubbish food,dont even no what mix it is!!!looked so cheap,the saw dust was wet and it smelt :(

I wished id bought it and the piggy but i have no room :( :(

not being funny, but its not really that much of a shock is it...those shop are 10 a penny all over the place..unfortunately...and i think being housed with a guineapig is the least of its worries :roll:

Welcome to the new American guests. Delighted you have joined our forum. (just noticed you are not new, but hello anyway). It is a common, and wrong assumption, that guinea pigs and rabbits are good together. As Sxfe said, "don't get them going as we have bin here some many times b4". As she has "kindly" pointed this out I won't repeat myself, but if you have a read of the link highlighted by my friend Sue and Sooty, you can see some of the main points which make this relationship an unsuitable one.

It's a familiar topic on the guinea pig forum I read too and I totally agree that it's a bad idea.

But I agree with the poster who said that in virtually every pet shop the rabbits and guinea pigs are housed together, so you'd be in danger of rescuing every animal you found if that was a reason for buying them.

was thinking of buying the bunny and piggy as iv been thinking about it ever since i saw them,but i have no room :( id have to rehome them if i got them,or buy another hutche.

I'd be more worried about the piggy myself, but there really are so many of them out there in the same situation. :( Maybe they've already gone off to (separate) homes.

If you buy them they just get more to replace tham and you affect the supply and demand thing. If no one bought animals from pet shops they'd stop selling them, the way to end this is to ensure rescue bunnies are bought, all bunnies are neutered and that people are educated about bunny care. I suspect bunnies are sold with no information regarding care, health, food etc.

If I go to a petshop with animals, and I try to internet shop to avoid it, I check they look well and then have to walk away. I just tell everyone I know about the lot of a rabbit, how they are in rescues, how people don't neuter and that doesn't just mean babies but potentially increased risk of cancer etc and hope that a little seaps through. I hope that if anyone ever thought of getting a bun I would be thought of as knowledgable and approachable and so could help then. In the meantime Jacob is an education in himself as no one who has met him has then still believed it's Ok to have a lone bunny in a hutch at the bottom of the garden.

I totally agree, tomjacob - it's a sad fact that however heart-wrenching these decisions are, pet shop owners will only replace their 'stock' and keep it in exactly the same way that they have done previously unless they are challenged by some sort of legal authority. :(

was thinking of buying the bunny and piggy as iv been thinking about it ever since i saw them,but i have no room id have to rehome them if i got them,or buy another hutche.

Its awful when you see that in pet shops - i saw a load of tiny baby buns at a pet shop with no hay and under a very hot lamp in a tank :shock: a guinea pig was constantly humping this poor bunny! made me very upset, i questioned the owner and he was extremely defensive!

My babies weren't kept in great conditions either :( American pet shops you see...(poor puppies kept in little windows).

There were 4 bunnies in one open top box like structure (meaning everyone could pet and bother them). They had hardly any water (in a bowl rather than bottle) and only pellets for food :( I think they were really bothered by it all because they kept hiding in the lil plastic igloo house that all 4 kept squeezing into.

I don't doubt that the poor care is what caused Blossom to be sicky :( But hopefully her good home and care with us now will right that. :D

I'm glad you didn't buy them too - you'd just be setting up more rabbits to be kept in these conditions. Don't encourage them!

I bought Lolly from a garden centrte before i knew any better :oops: . They were kept in nice spacious enclosures and were very clean but they didnt really know what they were doing - they told me she was a boy so i'm lucky I didn't bring home a rabbit surprise (you know like kinder surprise where you get a treat inside)!! :shock:

I wish pet shops wouldn't sell them as there are so many, and will always be so many, in rescues.

I think when people see animals in conditions like this they should report it to everyone they can i.e. RSPCA and the Council who licence the shop and anyone else who can get involved such as the shopping centre the shop is in or whatever.

This is most likely to help in the long term - as someone already said, if you "rescue" those animals you see at the times YES they will personally have better lives BUT the shop wil replace them and carry on treating them the same.

Getting the shop to change their policies is a much better long term plan.

Back