• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits eat.....

Dan_K

Warren Scout
Leeks? They're my own personal fave so normally have them in the house, just thought I might try a bit with Bob but unsure if it's ok or not.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks

Dan

I'm not 100% sure but I would think not as they are from a similar family to onions/bulbs, and onions/bulb plants are poisonous to bunnies.

Well tonight it's with Pork Chop and other veg and potatoes and gravy. perhaps Cheese Sauce next time!

Swede is fine, my bunnies eat it.

I give it to them in small portions though as i'm not too sure if if causes gas?

According to this list he can: http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/safefoods.htm

I must admit there is so much conflicting information out there that I like to double check with another list just to be sure :lol: For example that RWA list has green beans on it - I'm sure I've read elsewhere that they are poisonous?? Somewhere on the forum recently, someone did a really good printable list of safe and poisonous foods, I can't find it at the moment though :?

There's a great one on Briar Patch Rescue which I have ben using but I didn't see Leek or Swede on there.

Will try a bit of Swede tonight.

don't forget though, even if they go mad for something new, you mustn't give them more than a tiny piece, every other day, over the course of a fortnight, gradually increasing the portion size - otherwise they don't have the gut flora to cope with it = gas = stasis = panic stations!

Dan_K said:
well he seemed to enjoy the swede, he must be the only bunny though that doesn't like carrot!
My Simba refused to eat carrot.. however nala will eat anything and when i got her he suddenly ate anything she ate. The one thing that persuaded him to eat it was when my mum peeled it for him so it was flat on the sides and didnt roll away from him! :lol: :lol:

AlisonA said:
For example that RWA list has green beans on it - I'm sure I've read elsewhere that they are poisonous??

I have always fed green beans, runner beans, corn on the cob etc to the bunnies here with absolutly no ill effect :D They dont get them every day but they do get them occasionally. The bunnies here get exactly the same veg as the pigs, good variety and plenty of it :D Bunnies are a lot more robust than people think. I must say I dont ever remember a bunny here having a gas attack, in fact the only gut problems I have had with them have been hair stuck in the gut on the odd rare occasion but that is because of moulting/grooming not diet :thumb:

Diddeen said:
The one thing that persuaded him to eat it was when my mum peeled it for him so it was flat on the sides and didnt roll away from him! :lol: :lol:
I hope he doesnt expect me to peel it for him when he comes on his hols next month :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back