• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Angel has given birth to one kit!

pugsley

Young Bun
I just went to clean out the cage which luckily is indoors and found hair and a nest which must have been built last night, anyway there is one kit only inside the nest which appears healthy, as does angel the mum.

Is she likely to have anymore? and should i remove the bonded female that lives with her who is about 5 months old? they were acting normal this morning so this was a bit of a shock. :oops:

I have felt her stomach and can't feel anything unusual, the cage is in the living room and the heating is on, so the kit should be warm enough.

I would remove the other bun, but keep their cages next to each other so they can still see each other, so they don't lose their bond.

Are you sure she is a 'she'? :wink:

It is unusal for a bun to have just one kit so if i were you i`d keep an eye on her to make sure she`s not acting strangely, just incase another is stuck. I wouldn`t handle her too much at present just incase she hasn`t finished giving birth, just keep an eye on her and aslong as she looks fine in herself don`t worry.
Yes the kit will be fine in the nest with all the fur to keep it warm and it`s good the cage is inside.
I would remove the other bunny as Angel may see it as a threat to her baby, are you sure the other bun is a female? Or has Angel been in contact with a male bun that could of got her pregnant?

Su.x

the other bun is a female but i do have a male which i thought was too young to mate (5 months a month ago), that has jumped in her cage a couple of times and been quickly removed, obviously not quick enough lol.

Angel seems fine and is eating lots and drinking, she is very tame and doesn't look to be in any distress, she was running round the garden when I found the kit so quickly brought her back in in case she was gonna have more.

I think I will have to put the boy merlin out in the garden now it's a roof garden so mild weather (london) (although i will bring him in if we get another frosty night) and keep Angel and Princess in the two indoor cages next to each other.

Male rabbit are fertile from as young as 10-12 weeks. They can be neutered from 4 months. It only takes a few seconds for them to mate so unneutered males should never be allowed near females without bars between.

Tam

Could Princess be pregnant too? :? :? If Angel and Princess shared the same accomodation are you sure the Kit is Angels? If not and you put the wrong Doe with the Kit and said Doe has no milk you have a problem. Not wanting to pour water on the happy arrival of a kit just trying to point out all possibilities. Janex

Just be aware that one kit is less likely to survive than a whole litter as it will not have the body warmth of the others to keep it warm, but I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'd try picking up princess and see how much fur she has on her tummy. If she's looking a bit bald, it will be her baby!

JCO said:
Could Princess be pregnant too? :? :? If Angel and Princess shared the same accomodation are you sure the Kit is Angels? If not and you put the wrong Doe with the Kit and said Doe has no milk you have a problem. Not wanting to pour water on the happy arrival of a kit just trying to point out all possibilities. Janex

You must of mind read me :lol: was thinking this myself

well princess is only 5 months old and Angel has took the hair off her belly, she still seems fine, I'm just leaving her to it now have give her more hay and straw and some veg.

when did Merlin last get to the girls? Lucky you didn't have a litter of 12 :shock: Hope the baby's OK and Merlin gets to the vets before he gets to any more female rabbits :)

pugsley said:
well princess is only 5 months old and Angel has took the hair off her belly, she still seems fine, I'm just leaving her to it now have give her more hay and straw and some veg.

Well that pretty much means Angels the mum then, but at 5 mths old princess could still get pregnant so i`d keep a close eye on her too.

Su.x

this is a picture of Angel when she was a baby, we kept her because she was the runt of the litter, she is the redhead lol

She's about three years old now

nov2004049-copy.jpg

yes and I rehomed the male because he was attacking my dogs. I have tried to get the male castrated but the vet refused to do it till he was 6 months old, so I will do this soon although I am gonna rehome him, but was just waiting for the cold period to be over.

I'm still amazed this has happened, and definately didn't put him in as I've had litters before and really want my living room back!!, they have been chewing my dado and spraying and will have to redocorate now.

pugsley said:
yes and I rehomed the male because he was attacking my dogs. I have tried to get the male castrated but the vet refused to do it till he was 6 months old, so I will do this soon although I am gonna rehome him, but was just waiting for the cold period to be over.

Why are you rehoming him? :? xx

pugsley said:
I'm still amazed this has happened, and definately didn't put him in as I've had litters before and really want my living room back!!, they have been chewing my dado and spraying and will have to redocorate now.

Get all females spayed & males neutered, then no spraying, less chewing & more important - no more accidents.
Anyone want to post the 33000 unwamted bunnies in Rescues/unspayed females high risk ovarian cancer links?

Back