• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit with stripe??

maherwoman

Warren Scout
Question...have you heard of this?

Maisie seems to be getting a very dark gray stripe across her forehead (sort of in a "v"). Have you guys heard of a rabbit having a stripe like this? It doesn't feel like she's missing fur there (which I wondered, as her underfur is the same color), so it looks and feels like just a different color of fur.

Any ideas?

HS said:
Is she moulting? They often moult in 'patterns'!

I honestly don't have any idea, really. Could she be shedding baby fur? She's three months old. I have noticed that the stripe used to be smaller and further down on her nose, so maybe you're right, since the fur is shorter there. I haven't seen any fur laying around in her cage, though. ???

Do they molt in seasons?? Would I find fur in her cage? Should I worry if she IS molting??

Argh...now I'm all worried!!

Rabbits moult several times a year.. if they are outside rabbits then it would probably go along with the change in temperatures.. if they are indoors then it can vary quite a bit. You wont necessarily see that much fur around but if you stroke her you might find you get loose fur coming away. Its totally naturaly.. cats do it too! :wink:

Diddeen said:
Rabbits moult several times a year.. if they are outside rabbits then it would probably go along with the change in temperatures.. if they are indoors then it can vary quite a bit. You wont necessarily see that much fur around but if you stroke her you might find you get loose fur coming away. Its totally naturaly.. cats do it too! :wink:

Ok...so I have nothing to worry about? It's just natural, and just plain happens? WHEW!! I actually got really worried there for a second! LOL...warning: new bunny owner on the loose!! :lol:

paris started just white and broken grey patches...but shes started to get a sandy colour mixed with the grey now?

My buns are all moulting now, it is one **** of a clean up! They do moult in v-shaped patterns in there heads, and a very distinct line on their boddies, usually.

Aspen'n'company said:
My buns are all moulting now, it is one **** of a clean up! They do moult in v-shaped patterns in there heads, and a very distinct line on their boddies, usually.

How funny...thanks for letting me know! :)

Poppy gets patches on her that change colour...a few weeks ago she had two black splodges on her face and now they have gone (I'm quite glad that they've disappeared, they didn't suit her at all!!!!! :? :lol: )

They seem to moult in a line backwards from the head to tail and from along the back down the sides. I would guess the v might be to do with the bone structure underneath on the head? That's only a guess though :)

It's most pronouced in rabbits that have fur that's agouti or similar (e.g. chinchilla like Maisie) ... that's because the fur is different colours at the tips to the base so as the new fur comes through different coloured parts show.

Here is Alfie mid-moult:
Pict0976a.jpg

Pict0975a.jpg

Pict0979a.jpg

His 'moult line' have moved all the way down along his back to his bum and the fur above is new and the bit before his tail will be the last to fall out.

Not all rabbits moult quite that dramatically. Some will go more tufty in sections rather than a neat line but it generally still moves along the back and down.

Tam

Does sound like she's moulting, But she might be like Charlie, He has a strip above his nose all the time, he's never got rid of it. Dont bother me, makes him unique ;). Can you see it? xx

Charlie23.jpg

My Boy back in healthier days :D

BEcki xx

melaniejb said:
Poppy gets patches on her that change colour...a few weeks ago she had two black splodges on her face and now they have gone (I'm quite glad that they've disappeared, they didn't suit her at all!!!!! :? :lol: )

I feel a bit guilty, but I have to admit, I've been thinking the same about Maisie's "v" on her nose. I can see that it's gradually moving up her head, though, so it looks like it's definitley molting. Whew...

Ya know...I, of course, would have loved her anyway, and thought her the cutest dang bunny alive no matter what...but like you said, it just isn't as becomming as the solid pretty gray she is normally. :)

Tamsin said:
They seem to moult in a line backwards from the head to tail and from along the back down the sides. I would guess the v might be to do with the bone structure underneath on the head? That's only a guess though :)

It's most pronouced in rabbits that have fur that's agouti or similar (e.g. chinchilla like Maisie) ... that's because the fur is different colours at the tips to the base so as the new fur comes through different coloured parts show.

Here is Alfie mid-moult:
Pict0976a.jpg

Pict0975a.jpg

Pict0979a.jpg

His 'moult line' have moved all the way down along his back to his bum and the fur above is new and the bit before his tail will be the last to fall out.

Not all rabbits moult quite that dramatically. Some will go more tufty in sections rather than a neat line but it generally still moves along the back and down.

Tam

Thanks for letting me know! Yes, I've noticed that it's definitely the lower color in each fur strand that I'm seeing pronounced...it's what made me wonder. I guess with such a color variance above vs below, it really shows during molting, huh?

Either way, though I've mentioned it's not terribly becomming, it is DEFINITELY endearing and quite adorable to watch progress.

Just out of curiousity, what is agouti, technically?

Thanks again!! :)

P.S. I've been thinking she was possibly Chinchilla, but can't seem to find out for sure. I can't tell if she's got Chinchilla COLORING, or is a Chinchilla BREED. Can you tell at all? Do you possibly know the characteristics of the breed? She's only three months old, so there might be things that aren't quite showing up yet as far as breed exactness is concerned. Thank you!

See, I thought it was moulting too. But shouldn't there be fur flying around the house? I can't see one piece of fur so far.

Maher, does your bunny has fur flying around the house?

Because my past rabbit has shed furs in the past, usually twice a year, and I need to vaccum almost daily to clean out the fur. But so far, there is no fur flying.

By the way, this is so funny, have you guys seen those Japanese super hero sci-fi cartoon? I remember a lot of those super hero has a V shape above their nose too. :D

Kahlo has a 'v' shape too. You can see it quite obviously in this pic...

P1010146.jpg

She's had it ages though, and seems to be in a constant moult. I suppose its because she's a house bun. She's developed some ginger patches behind her ears too, which are incredibly cute!

Agouti is the same colour as wild rabbits though is varies abit in shade. Each strand of fur is multiple colours instead of one, shades of grey,brown and black. It makes the fur look flecked if you look closely.

I think the chincilla colour is genetically related. It basically the same as agouti but it's black,white/grey instead of brown.

I'm fairly certain that she's chinchilla coloured, I'm not sure about the breed though. She's probably a mix breed unless she was from a breeder. Most petshops/rescues are muddled up buns :D

Tamsin said:
Agouti is the same colour as wild rabbits though is varies abit in shade. Each strand of fur is multiple colours instead of one, shades of grey,brown and black. It makes the fur look flecked if you look closely.

I think the chincilla colour is genetically related. It basically the same as agouti but it's black,white/grey instead of brown.

I'm fairly certain that she's chinchilla coloured, I'm not sure about the breed though. She's probably a mix breed unless she was from a breeder. Most petshops/rescues are muddled up buns :D

Ok, cool. Thanks for explaining. It's a term I haven't heard before. It's definitley what she is, and by the colors you mention as being Chinchilla colored, sounds like she's that as well. When I blow on her fur, the bottom colored ring is a VERY dark gray, then a ring of light gray, then another much smaller ring of dark gray, and finally a very thin ring of light gray.

From what I know, her mama is a white bun, and her daddy is a similiarly-colored gray lop. So, she's definitely a mix.

We're not sure yet about the ears (if they'll stay up, or fall), which is something that's been in question only because they realllly flop around a lot. Ultimately, as far as the ears, only time will tell.

But yeah, from what you tell me, she's Chinchilla colored. :)

Thanks! :)

Back