• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help, something up with Nina

Karly

Banned
Just went to give the buns a bit of pear and was a bit worried as Nina didn't hop up to the doors to see me. She was sitting in the corner so popped the slice of pear in the bowl near her but she still just sat there. Very worried at this point as the sound of something in her bowl would normall have her running!
Picked her up and she's trembling all over! Her tum felt rock solid at first but I've had her on my lap a little bit and the trembling has lessened and her tum feels OK now so think she may have just been tensing it.
She's not interesting in the pear though, which is unusual for her, she just wants to hop onto the floor and if I let her, she just sits there not bothered
The trembling has stopped now but she's still not 'right'. Offered her some pellets and she had a sniff but not even a nibble :?
Not even the bunny all-time favourite - porridge - has tempted her :?
She's been fine until now, pooing, eating, drinking, etc. and I've not given her any new veg in a while, there's been nothing new in her cage or anything other than the hay I've used (but she's had the same stuff in the past with no problems).
Do you think it's worth calling out the emergency vet or see how she is in the morning (bearing in mind I get up pretty early, around 6:30am, so not too far away) and taking her to the vet in the morning if she's no better? Given her some tummy massages just incase, not sure whether it's worth keeping her seperate from Joey for the night and giving her lots of yummy foods on offer to tempt her?
These animals, think they're sent to try us!

I would leave her with her friend as it would cause more stress spliting them up.She should be ok till the morning. At the moment theres not much to tell the vet, although you know your rabbits not right.See how she is in the morning. val :D fingers crossed

aawww poor little Nina.
It is a worry isnt it.. and they go down hill so fast! Are the tummy massages helping at all? It sounds like maybe she has some gass in her tummy or otherwise a blockage. Is she moulting heavy at the moment? Or is her boyfriend moulting a lot.. is there any fur in her poops?
If you have any infacol you could try giving her 2mls and keep the tummy massages up. Is she cold or normal temp? If she feels cold it would be good to keep her indoors altho probably better to keep the pair together. Do you have any kittmalt? If so you could try giving her a bit of that in case it is fur. I guess it is up to you really.. if you can get some fluids/mushed up pellets into her tonight it might be ok to wait and see in the morning.
I hope she is feeling alot better soon.. seems to be alot of bunnies getting wind at the moment

Joey (her 'hubby') is moulting at the moment so could be that, though to be honest I haven't really seen her grooming him (they've not been bonded long, they cuddle but I've not seen a mutual grooming session yet)
After a bit of an internal debate, I've popped Joey in a puppy pen right outside their crate as I've put a selection of yummy foods (though all things she's used to having so I don't upset her tum) and Joey would eat them in no time :roll: They can still see each other all along the length of the crate though, and I'll put them back together in the morning. Given her lots of their normal hay, a bit of the yummy dandelion and something else hay I bought the other day, some porridge, bowl of pellets, some dried cranberry pieces mixed in to tempt her, timothy pellets and cubes, and a bowl of dried grass which she normally loves. Given her a bowl of water as well as her bottle and added some probiotics to that. Cleaned it all out too so I can monitor poo-numbers - the things we do :roll: But didn't notice anything strange about her poos that were in there already, they were as big as normal and no fur or anything.
She sat in the corner again straight away but did just have a nosy at the water bowl so fingers crossed she'll get curious to find the food and have a nibble!
I think I've got some Kittymalt so I'll give her a little of that too. If she's not eaten by the morning I'll have to drop her in at the vet and let them work their magic on her!
Her stomach feels kind of hard but kind of squishy - like Joey's and he's hopping around as usual. It's when something like this happens that you forget what 'normal' is! No gurgling or sloshing noises though. Not sure if the massages were helping, she wasn't too keen on them anyway!
She's an indoor bun anyway and I've popped the heating on so it'll stay warm enough in here. Her belly feels quite warm to the touch (she's still half-bald on there from her spay shaving)
I'll probably be up half the night checking on her so fingers crossed..

Just an update!
This morning she was up and about, and eating pellets. She's eaten most of them, all of the cranberry pieces, a good portion of the dandelion hay, and a handful of her normal stuff.
She has pooed, but they're a bit smaller and softer than usual - hopefully the hay will sort that out though.
At least now she's out of the corner, and laying down rather than hunching up in the corner.
I'll pop her along to the vet this evening for a checkup anyway, just to be on the safe side.

oh that's good - if she's eating and pooing she maybe had a blockage of hair that passed a narrow bit of gut and gaver her tummy ache - If she's fine I wouldn't stress her unnecessarily with a trip to the vets though - it might set her off again?

I wouldn't really call it unnecessary as I'd rather her get the OK and have a vet confirm whether it was just a blockage that had passed. Hers poos were quite soft this morning so not sure if it's an upset tum or not.
My vets are literally 2 minutes down the road by car and not generally the prodding and poking time so I don't think she'd be too stressed out - I'd hate to assume she was OK and find out it was something serious the hard way :?
I wanted to take a ratty of mine to have her surgery wound checked over anyway so might as well take them in at the same time.

Ratty is fine - just a hematoma (or however you spell it!) where she had a tumour removed. It was a large pocket because the tumour/mass stretched down her apart about 1.5-2cm :? But the vet thinks it's better to let it drain itself rather than drain it with a syringe and risk introducing an infection. She's got to carry on her course of Baytril as she's picked at the bit where an internal stitch was poking out but it's healing fine.
Nina was a bit more serious though, so definately glad I took her in. She felt quite gassy and bloated, and her poos are back to being shrivelled and small (he couldn't feel many and managed to push a couple out ( :shock: ) which were small and dark looking, as opposed to her normal goldy-brown malteser size ones :shock:
She's got some Prepulsid suspension, and was given an injection of Metoclopramide, and I need to make sure she's eating and syringe feed her every few hours to keep her gut going. He wants to see her back in 24 hours if she's not eating by herself and pooing on a regular basis. At least it's almost the weekend so she'll get lots of nursing, and I think I'll probably take her to work with me tomorrow so I can do the syringe feeding and her meds.
So fingers crossed she's on the mend

Aww - So glad u took her!! Come on Honey, Make this a snappy recovery. There are so many poorley buns on here at the moment, dont stress mum out by making another one :wink: xx

oh poor girl - hope she's going to be OK after her medicine - do you know what could have caused it? There do seem to be a lot of bunnies with this problem at the mo :?

Vet agreed that it may be possible she caused herself a blockage by grooming Joey, but we're not entirely sure.
She does have a habit of pulling up the newspaper in her crate so maybe she's been nbbling on that too. Or possibly the hay - I saw someone else say they had trouble with hay this time of year, and I did buy some new bags on Sunday - she's had the same brand before but not for about a month or two so maybe this batch was a bit 'off' and no good for her tum.
She is hopping around now though, and eating so definately improved since last night.

Went out in the cold and dark last night to pick her some grass :roll: but it was worth the soggy feet as she loved it! Got her some more this morning and she was munching away at that. She's been eating hay and pellets too, not with quite as much 'oomph' as normal but enough to keep her gut going.
I'll stick her out in the run this evening so she can munch away to her heart's delight - I'm glad she's used to eating grass as she's eating it with such zest, and I won't have to worry about it upsetting her tum.
Hopefully I caught it quickly enough, she's definately improving rather than getting worse.

Just an update for those interested!
Nina's now munching away at everything with interest, and hopping around plenty. She'll sleep snuggling with Joey rather than hunched up in the corner on her own. I've see some malteser-esque poos, so all is well :D

Back