• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can you file a rabbit's nails?

maple_syrup

Young Bun
It's almost time to clip my rabbit's nails again and I just dread it...she hates being picked up in the first place, so nail clipping is really not a favourite past time for either of us. Which led me to wonder, can you file rabbit nails down, just like you do with human nails?

Also, just looking at her nails about 2 weeks ago, I noticed one of them in the front foot was really black, while the rest were a more bony, off white colour...I can't remember if that nail has always been black. If the black is a recent change, what does it mean? Is it serious? She's a sooty fawn colour, and is behaving normally. Eating, playing, same as always.

Thanks!

Nope, rabbits nails are often differant colours and I'm sure there is nothing to worry about :D You are actually lucky your bun only has 1 dark nail, because it is easier to cut nails with the lighter colour because you can see the quick.
As for the nail file, I would think it just takes longer that way. If your having trouble maybe have someone else hold the bun while you clip, or take the bun into the vets. I think most vets will do a free nail clip with a checkup!!

Good luck!

xxx

My vet told me that if you are nervous about cliping nails you can file them although you will need a very patient rabbit. :lol: I haven't tired it yet tho. :D

Filing would take forever :lol: . Get someone in to help you, someone to hold and one to clip its easy just cut the nail back to the hair line on the foot. val :D

if you do try filing the nail do so in one direction only, as with humans sawing the file can weaken the nail with the result that the nail could split or break.

I've just looked at her nails and I think the black one hurts her. If I stroke it then she flinches and turns away. But if I touch her other nails she doesn't get tha tbothered. She might move her foot but she still stays where she is.

One thing I've managed to do with buns that aren't so keen on being help upside down is to pop them on a chair and then sit on the floor next to it. Then you can see easily enough and lift up one foot at a time and trim the nails that way.

just cut a bit at a time, my one hates me when I grab her to cut her nail, the only thing you can do is cut 1 hand/leg at a time, one day at a time.

Back