• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

So many questions...sorry!

ness

Young Bun
Hello
I've been looking for a girlfriend for my neutered boy bun, Rupert. I've only had Rupert since Jan (although he's a veteran at 6) and after reading the posts on this board, reckon he needs a bit of company.
I have now been offered a 4 year old girly bun with hutch (the usual story kids lost interest :roll: ) although she is being very well looked after.
My questions are:
Is is ok to try to bond a unspayed female with a neutered male? Am I likely to get success?
Would it be worth having her spayed, or is it a risk at her age?
Also the female is friendly but very timid, can you teach a rabbit new tricks? Can i try to get her used to being handled or is she too old?
I know I have to take it very slowly and if they don't get on she can return to her previous home. But I really hope they do, and I'M SO EXCITED!!! :D
Any help gratefully received
Ness and Rupert x

I think you would be ok trying to bond them but not all buns get along, just like humans.
I'm not sure if there is an age limit to speying, I'm sure someone else can advise on this but it is usually a great idea.
If she does get along with your bun, then you can try to create a bond with her too, let her come and investigate you, she'll soon learn that you're not scary and come for cuddles!
Good luck

Can I just say, good for you for taking on an older rabbit! Most people won't even consider it. Just be aware when bonding them, that Rupert may not have that long left (or he may have another 6 years!) and that when he has passed on, the other bunny will need a new friend to prevent loneliness.

As for getting her spayed, your vet will generally be honest with you on her chances. 4 isn't that old. My 6 year old went under anesthetic without any problems, it generally depends on her health before the op. The best reason to get a bun spayed is that 80%+ of females get uterine cancer if unspayed at about 4 or 5 years of age so it may be worth taking the risk for. As I say, your vet will be able to advise you when he's seen her.

But bear in mind some bunnies just don't get on! But bonding can take a while so don't give up on it.
When bonding them have a water gun handy and do it somewhere that rupert has never been before. The water gun is to save your hands when breaking up fights (there may not be any, but be ready to jump in!)
It really makes my day when someone takes on older rabbits and does everything they can to make them happy. I wish you the best of luck with them!

Back