• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

whos up with ga's?????

I know I've already told you this eve, but I'll post for others anyway!

Our fantastic vet uses
Domitor and ketamin (injections) to put the bunnies out. They are then put on oxygen. If they start to get a bit light under aneasthetic they are given Isoflurane (gas).
They are closed using internal stitches (using monodox) and sugical glue.
They are then given a shot of baytil (antibiotic), metacam (pain killer) and metaclopramide (to keep the guts moving).
They are given a shot of antisedan to wake them up.

donna-arc said:
I know I've already told you this eve, but I'll post for others anyway!

Our fantastic vet uses
Domitor and ketamin (injections) to put the bunnies out. They are then put on oxygen. If they start to get a bit light under aneasthetic they are given Isoflurane (gas).
They are closed using internal stitches (using monodox) and sugical glue.
They are then given a shot of baytil (antibiotic), metacam (pain killer) and metaclopramide (to keep the guts moving).
They are given a shot of antisedan to wake them up.

thasnk donna i have emailed you back, if you can help further! please :D

I'm no expert, but I think some vets use gas on its own, the main potential danger is that the bunny holds its breath in response to the smell of the gas.

Our Vet (same one as ARC) uses just Isofluorane for elderly/debilitated or tiny (under 1kg) rabbits. She says that Isoflo is less likely to effect a delicate buns heart and as it passes out of the system quickly it puts less strain on the liver/kidneys. Janex

JCO said:
Our Vet (same one as ARC) uses just Isofluorane for elderly/debilitated or tiny (under 1kg) rabbits. She says that Isoflo is less likely to effect a delicate buns heart and as it passes out of the system quickly it puts less strain on the liver/kidneys. Janex

thanks jane, so what about its sole use in medium and large size bunnies?

bunnylove said:
JCO said:

Well, Cristabel says she prefers to use the full GA for Buns who are not debilitated ie Old, very sick, tiny. Cristabel says this is because with just Isoflo the bun can 'come round' albeit for only a few seconds til the Isoflo is topped up. Cristabel says she believes the full GA is the best option if at all possible. She said that the Antisedan flushes the GA out of the Bun quickly which means less work for the kidneys/liver. Janex

JCO said:
bunnylove said:
JCO said:

Well, Cristabel says she prefers to use the full GA for Buns who are not debilitated ie Old, very sick, tiny. Cristabel says this is because with just Isoflo the bun can 'come round' albeit for only a few seconds til the Isoflo is topped up. Cristabel says she believes the full GA is the best option if at all possible. She said that the Antisedan flushes the GA out of the Bun quickly which means less work for the kidneys/liver. Janex

Back