• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutered Male - Still frisky

terry

Banned
Hi, our male bunny, Pan, was neutered on 16th Jan this year. We have been bonding him with our 18 month neutered female Hessie and all is ok except when he tries to mount her. Either from behind or just a few minutes ago, on her head. This seems to be the only time Hessie tries to bite Pan. Is this something in neutered males that persists or should it go away? We'd be really interested to hear the advice and experiences of others. Thanks!

One of my spayed girls can be insistent about mounting too! My neutered boy did mount his girlfriend during bonding, once he realized that he actually did like her. She let him that night, but danced away every time he tried after that. Now he can't seem to remember how to do it, although he does try sometimes and looks really confused. :lol:

Mounting is also a dominance thing, so it's not 100% caused by hormones. :wink:

Hiya! Bunnies hump each other, including on the wrong end, to assert their dominance, as well as for frisky behaviour. Even neutered males get a bit frisky at this time of year, but as you are bonding, it is more likely that the majority of this humping is him telling her that he is in charge.

Are you separating them frequently during the bonding, or have you just left them together? I suspect that you are doing short sessions, and this is probably why the humping is persisting. Every time you reintroduce them, he will have to start all over again. As you haven't seen any other aggression, I would be inclined to put a day aside and supervise them together all day. He should stop humping her eventually!! If he humps her head, gently take him off or clap your hands to make him let go, because she could give him a nasty bite on the privates :shock: Other than that, unless there is any aggression, just leave them together and by the end of the day you should have bunnies well on the way to being bonded.

If you're not happy about putting them back into the same hutch/cage at the end of the day, I have been known to leave them together in the kitchen (neutral territory) and sleep on the floor nearby so that I wake up if there are any disturbances! If you're eventually putting them together into one of their existing houses, preferably use the males one, as he will be less territorial over it. In any case, move it around, move the food and water, disinfect it, basically anything to confuse the existing occupant that this is "their" territory - then they are much more likely to accept the newcomer into it.

Good luck, sounds like you're doing great!

they're both house rabbits but curently take turns in staying in an indoor hutch while we are at work. evenings are the bonding times-I think we'll try an all day session at the weekend. We had them out in the garden together for half an hour and it worked really well..... Thanks for your advice, much appreciated!! Just can't wait till they're bonded finally!!!

Back