• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Could I have damaged Harvey?

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Hello,

I'm starting to worry again now.........

A couple of days ago I was syringing water into Harveys mouth and I must have administered too much as it made poor Harvey choke and splutter. I really scared myself and him. Now I have read that if bunnys get water in their lungs they can get pneumonia and die.

Do you think I could have damaged Harvey and got some water into his lungs?

It happened a couple of days ago now and he seemed fine this morning. Since the mishap I have been very very cautious and have just been giving him tiny sips of water slowly.

Do you think Harvey will be o.k or could I have damaged his lungs? How will I know?

Please help.

Nicola and Harvey xxx

He'll be fine :D The first time I syringe fed Flint, I made him splutter :oops: I think he got that sick of it he decided to eat on his own!!

I was syringing Harvey just water and I really upset him. I must have administered too much and it made him choke and splutter several times. It was awful and really scared me.

I was worrying that the water could have gone onto his lungs and made him very poorly.

It was a couple of days ago now and ever since I have been very very careful. He seems fine this morning.

Do you think I could have damaged his little lungs? How will I know?

I'm sure he'll be fine, the fact that he choked and spluttered probably means that he sort of coughed any stray water back up again - a bit like when you have a good old coughing session if you manage to get something down the wrong hole.

I'm a complete worrier when it comes to Harvey. He's been through so much in his little life.

He is a wild bunny that I found injured in the road on Easter Sunday last year. He was only a baby when i found him, about 8 wks old. He was treated by the Vet but where he was hit he is blind in one eye and his teeth are misaligned. He has now had his incisors taken out but still needs dentals for his molars.

He is a real character, very bolshy and quite tame now. He has full run of the spare room when I'm at work and full run of the house when I'm at home. He also has a large run outside and a girlfriend who is also a rescue wild bunny of about the same age.

Harvey is litter trained and loves his home comforts as you can see from the piccies below:
harvted.jpg

harvted02.jpg

harvted03.jpg

It's just that someone posted that if bunnies get water on thier lungs they can get pnemonia and die so of course I panicked......

Love and hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Nicola, I am afraid what you said is true. But my last rabbit wasn't drinking water due to his sickness, and the vet also said if the water or baby food gets in his lungs, and there is bacteria in it, then your concern will come true.

Since then I syringe feed 0.5cc at a time with a 5 second pause.

Now, there is no way of knowing there is bacteria in that water. Why is he syringe feed w/ water in the first place? Is he sick?

If there is bacteria in the water, in a time gap of a few days, the symptoms still won't show. If he has current problem to begin with, you should see a vet.

====

edit: okay, I just read the other thread that your rabbit is sick to begin with. Your concern is true about pnemonia , and the only way to find out is to do a urine test. At this point, I would go with a vet.

hi - just got your PM as I've only just logged on - sorry to have worried you, although it's a fact they can get pneumonia if they breathe in water - But if Harvey's breathing as normal and it's not a struggle or noisy, then he's fine :)

but elve, knowing NIcola's rabbit is sick to begin with, why not take care of two things at the same time at the vet?

she hasn't said why she was syringing him in the first place so I'm not sure if he was sick or just not drinking much or what - A urine test would be an odd way to diagnose pneumonia though - the vet can listen to a rabbit's breathing through a stethescope surely? My son's had pneumonia 4 or 5 times when he was a baby, and survived with antibiotic treatment, and once he needed a nebuliser in hospital when his breathing was very laboured and 'crackly' sounding. Rabbits can be nebulised too if they are bad, and if you find a vet with a nebuliser :?

Hello,

Harvey has a sore tongue which is why I have been syringe feeding him. He has started to eat a few of his pellets now. A couple of days ago I gave him some water via a syringe and that made him splutter and cough.

He's on baytril at the moment to help heal his tongue. He seemed o.k this morning but having read your posts I am worrying.

He has to go back to the Vet this evening for a check-up as he had a dental last week.

Do you think he will be o.k ? He seemed fine this morning. He is on baytril anyway do you think this would have killed any bacteria in the water if there was any?

How will the Vet be able to tell if he has water on his lungs and what is the treatment?

Nicola and Harvey xxx
harvted03.jpg

Thanks Edna,

Harvey is my special boy and I love him to pieces. The thought of me damaging him in some way is awful.

What will the Vet have to listen out for? Will she be able to hear someting if there is water there? Is it easily detected?

Soz for all the questions!!!

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

as I'm not a vet and haven't ever used a stethescope, I wouldn't know - but when my son had pneumonia it sounded like tree branches scratching a window, or a paper bag being crunched up when he breathed in - really loud and crackly! :?

And he lived! :D

My poor baby Promie died of pneumonia, you'll know it as the breathing sounds wet. If he seems his usual self, chances are he just took a little too much in. Try not to worry as he will pick up on it and worry himself.
If he starts showing any signs you are worried about, a trip to the vet will put your mnd at rest.

Hiya,

A tip for when syringing food or water put the syring in the side of the mouth and point it at the opposite cheek. Then any spare dribbles out the side :) It's more messy but shouldn't have so much worry about it goes down the wrong way :)

I'm sure he will be fine :)

Tam

Nicola3 said:
Thanks Edna,

What will the Vet have to listen out for? Will she be able to hear someting if there is water there? Is it easily detected?

Nicola and Harvey xxx

A vet would know the answer for that. I know my vet describe the problem to me when I syringe feed my rabbit, because she wants to make sure I don't rush the water too fast. As to detecting the problem and treatment, got to ask a vet when you take him in.

Back