• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Rescue in Devon?

ness

Young Bun
Hello
I'm looking to get a lady partner for my newly acquired 6 year old nethie boy Rupert. Does anyone know of any rabbit rescues in Devon? I have tried the RSPCA but I don't fit all the criteria (although Rupert is free range 15 hours a day).
I have been told there is one near Chudleigh but can't seem to find any reference to it.
Any help gratefully received.
Ness and Rupert

RSPCA Little Valley Animal Shelter
Black Hat Lane, Bakershill, Exeter, EX2 9TA
Tel: 01392 439898 / Website /

Woodside Animal Welfare Trust
Elfordsleigh, Plympton, Plymouth, Devon, PL7 5ED UK
Tel: 01752 347503 / Website /

Animals In Distress
Biltor', Edgelands Lane, Ipplepen, Devon, TQ12 5UG
Tel: 01803 812121 / Website

Got these ones off the rescue section on the main menu of here x

Hi Ness,

The one in Chudleigh is not a rescue. They breed rabbits and supply most of Devon and Cornwalls Pet shops with rabbits. I have been there several times and many of the bunnies look very ill and miserable. They are kept in tiny hutches piled high. Last time I went there they had about 300 rabbits.

Last year I was trying to find homes for 9 bunnies that were under threat of being put to sleep. The woman at the place at Chudleigh said she would take all the females but she wanted a fee for each one she took. The rspca would not let her have them as they are very well known as the main suppliers of pet rabbits for the Westcountry. I wouldn't recommend getting a rabbit from them. Last time I went there many of the rabbits were showing signs of pasteuella. Several had some kind of ear rot. The hutches were soaked through and falling apart and they were all living at such close quarters to one another. They are a business. They had giant breed rabbits in the tiniest of hutches, not enough room to stretch their legs.

Have you tried 'Animals in Distress' in Ipplepen, Devon? They always have lots of bunnies needing homes. I have just taken a couple of rexes in but they are undergoing Veterinary treatment at the moment.

Why do you not meet the RSPCA'S criteria? I adopted a bun through the RSPCA. She was one of the 9 buns due to be pts and the last one remaining so I said I would take her. I was homechecked but it wasn't an interrogation. The lady just wanted to see where I lived, where the bunny would be kept and if I had any knowledge of looking after bunnies. If you can offer a good home to a bunny I'm sure they will be more than happy to help you. There are always so many unwanted rescue bunnies.

Good luck in your search.

Nicola : )

Thanks for all your replies, I have been offered a 4 year old rabbit female from a friend (who's kids have lost interest, sound familiar :x ), she comes with a hutch which will be very useful when bonding them. I am about to bombard this forum with questions about bonding. :lol:
The rspca were very strict about their criteria for rehoming. You have to have a 5 ft hutch with run, if no run attached it had to be 6 ft. I have only got a 4 ft hutch, but Rupert is free range from 7am - 10pm in the garden when I'm about or he's in the utility room when I'm not. While I agree they have to have their rules, I was a bit disapointed that they were so dissmissive of me. I think it was because I had my 2 year old daughter in tow so they presumed (quite wrongly) that I was getting a rabbit for her. :?
My plan is to somehow attach both hutches to make a super hutch, thats if they bond..........

Back