• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Whats the best rabbit food...

nicole

Mama Doe
is it supa rabbit excel or supreme science selective?
I'v heard that oxbow's rabbit food is good too, what do you feed your bunnies?

Nicole.x

I feed my rabbits SS. Molly certainly prefers it to Excel. I think the Excel Lite is supposed to be better (more fibre) than the normal Excel, but have not tried it it with my buns.

The SS is also a better shape for putting in treat balls. :lol:

nicole said:
is it supa rabbit excel or supreme science selective?
I'v heard that oxbow's rabbit food is good too, what do you feed your bunnies?

Nicole.x

well until last week I would have said science selective, my 5 love it...but Trinny who I adopted from ARC has the oxbow, and she will not swap onto SS. I have had to go and order some oxbow for her specially :shock: they are really little pellets, and she adores them

The majority of ARC's rabbits are on Bunny Basics which is made by Oxbow. The majority seem to change over to it fairly easily.

excel can give some rabbits a sticky bum, so I've heard - I've only ever fed science selective and they love it - It contains a probiotic too, and I've put 6 of my new rabbits straight onto it as I had none of their previous food, with no ill effects.

Excell i must say iv never had any problems with,i have just tryed ss,they love that too,so iv been mixing the two together,they do really like the ss the most as they pick through that and eat it first,so I will probally stop buying the excell once iv used this bag :D

All four of mine love their Oxbow Bunny Basics T. It's easier to get in the US, though. There is one store in town that started selling it recently, so I don't have to drive 45 minutes to get it anymore!

Although if I had young bunnies I'd feed them either Oxbow's alfalfa pellets or Purina High Fiber.

Mine started off on supa Excel but i changed them onto SS then A&p as it is alot higher in fibre. The difference in their poops was quite suprising once they were on A&P and they eat it.. it did take a while to persuade them as they did enjoy the SS pellets alot

Kahlo has SS. She used to be on Excel, and we did have a few sticky bottom issues. But, since she's been eating Oxbow haw and SS she's been much cleaner!

Getting hold of SS is harder around here though, I have to make sure I order some everytime I place an online order for hay/toys so that I've got some in stock. I found it in one local pet shop, but both bags they had were out of date!

I know that bunnies need high fibre in comparison to protien. This is the info I could get on the diffrent brands.

Oxbow bunnie basic protein 14%
fibre 29%

Supa rabbit excel protein 12%
fibre 14%

Supreme science selective protein (can any1 fill in for me?)
fibre 19%

The fibre content of Oxbow is one of the main reasons we feed it (haven't found anything that compares as well)

We have also eradicated all cases of sticky bottom since using it (even with our chronic long termers who suffered upset tummies for years)

If you can't get it locally you can ask for it to be ordered in specially. It is expensive but it is very concentrated and a hamster bowl is enough for the average bunny for a day.

Back