• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best and safest way to syringe water into bunnys mouth.

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Hello,

Please can you tell me the best way and safest way of syringing water into a bunnys mouth.

Thank you,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

I had to do that with Holly.

I am not sure is i did it right but i wrapped her in a blanket and sat her on my lap with her head sort of up right and gave her the water slowley from the syringe which was fine.

I hopw harvey is ok!!!

Bonnie

very slowly.. you need to be sure your bunny is swallowing it. If he will lick it then even better.. just do a little drop at a time.

If they wont take it, get a little raspberry and break it up and put a little tiny bit at a time on top of the syringe, then when they go to get the raspberry squirt tiny amounts in. xx

the syringe needs to go sideways into the mouth, just behind the front teeth, and only a tiny bit squeezed at a time or they can either choke or end up with it in their lungs causing pneumonia.

If the rabbit's eating pellets a good way to get extra water in is to mush up the pellets with some hot water from the kettle, let it cool then feed, or if they are used to eating veg give them wet veg in a saucer with a bit of water in, so they will take in water as they eat.

But if they need to be syringed and don't like to be handled then kneel down and back them up between your legs, with a towel wrapped around them so they can't kick and twist their back.

Hi Elve,

Thank you for your tips. I'm really worried now. A couple of days ago I was syringing Harvey water and must have done it wrong and poor dear Harvey started to choke and splutter. Do you think he will be o.k ? Since then I have been extra careful when giving him the water and he seems fine now. I have been giving him a tiny bit at a time. Is there any chance he could develop pneumonia after having a splutter from the water a couple of days ago?

Nicola and Harvey xxx

AS I posted in that other thread, you insert the syringe about 1.5 inch past the front teeth, insert 0.5cc at a time, with a 5 sec. pause, so Harvey can swallow the water slowly, then push in another 0.5 cc until it is done.

Back