• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

poor little jack

jay

Mama Doe
Jack has had to put up with a lot recently. He had a myxi jab about a month ago, then a VHD jab two weeks ago and then was castrated last friday. Poor thing has a huge scab where the VHD jab was - the worst reaction the vet has ever seen apparently - and then another sore patch where we think he had his antibiotic injection after his op which he keep scratching and thats getting worse now. He seems ok in himself although a bit quiet - there hasn't been much racing round the room like a lunatic sinch the myxi jab. He's always following me about and looking for nose rubs at the moment. He's back at the vets first thing tomorrow. Please send healing vibes for my poorly baby!! :(

Hello,

My bunny had his Myxi jab 2 and a half weeks ago and he hasn't been right since. I'm really worried now as he has a red mark on the back of his tongue and has gone off his food. The Vet isn't sure what it is but it seems to have happened straight after he had his jab.

Hope Jack is better soon.

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Jack was just a little quiet after his myxi - which was the jab the vet was concerned about effecting him. After the VHD jab he is still a little quiet - the scab that appeared just keeps getting bigger and more angry looking. Doesn't help that he keeps scratching it. I was following him around yesterday evening stopping him from scratching, he got really annoyed and hid from me! :roll: Not a lot else I can do - hopefully the vet will do something tomorrow. He isn't off his food though and spent ages sat in his hay box in the living room chomping quietly and looking a bit sorry for himself.

Hope your bunny is better soon Nicola.

Hi Jay,

I've been worrying myself silly over Harvey.

At least Jack is eating which is a very good sign.

Give him lots of huggles from me.

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Jack is getting lots of hugs - I keep putting him on my lap - knees drawn up to my chest and hugging him and giving him nose rubs. He allows me to do this for about 5 mins before jumping out and sitting about a foot away from me shaking out his ears and looking at me with an "thats my cuddle over with now, I've more important things to 'chew' :lol: !!"- its very funny!!

They do cause us a lot of worry do our buns!! Hope Harvey starts eating again very soon.

I've never been offered the vhd jab by my vet and am tempted not to ask for it as I've heard of some really bad reactions! Not just scabs, but serious illness and even death!

Back