• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

2 bunnies with teeth problems

Hi all

Sassi is a netherland dwarf and her teeth are really not good. The bottom ones have been snapped (i have no idea how she managed that) and are now really short, but the top ones are now much longer and have split in 2 at the bottom...

Waffles on the other hand has 1 bottom tooth that always sticks out and im having all of his front teeth removed soon. do you think i should do the same with sassi as she has been to the vets a few times with teeth problems???

i think it may be best for both of them to have this operation, what do you think? all my other buns teeth are perfect and none of them apart from waffles and sassi have had teeth problems.

What kind of tooth problems has she been to the vets for, and how often? Sometimes tooth problems can be managed with a trimming every few months. That's something you can do at home once your vet teaches you. I've heard of some that need trimming more often, even every two weeks, and they would be better off with the surgery.

naturestee said:
What kind of tooth problems has she been to the vets for, and how often? Sometimes tooth problems can be managed with a trimming every few months. That's something you can do at home once your vet teaches you. I've heard of some that need trimming more often, even every two weeks, and they would be better off with the surgery.

only the fact that they get really long too quick, and now the top teeth have split in 2 at the bottom.

Im def getting waffles treated.

I dont like the idea of clipping or burring a rabbits teeth. as with burring is done under anesthetic i think and if she had to have that every 2-3 months it would be better for me to have her teeth removed as i know some rabbits die under anesthetic and if she is having that too often im scared she will die each time she goes to the vet for teeth treatment.

should she go in once and be done with it?

I'd say yes, it sounds as if the problems have been going on for some time so it would probably be best - obviously I'm not a vet so you'll have to take any contrary opinion of your vet into account but on face value it certainly sounds like she would be better off without them. She should be able to eat normally although you may have to grate carrot etc for her as she will not be able to use her non-existent incisors to bite them.

Naturestee - don't know about what is normal in the US now, but here in the UK it's not good practice for people to trim the teeth at home, trimming has been replaced with burring - a special tool a bit like a dremel (don't know if they are called that in the States?), which the vet uses to buff off the pointed surface. Trimming with clippers is now known to send shock up the tooth and can cause it to split, break and cause more problems in the long term, and clipping can be very painful for the rabbit - another reason not to do it at home!

teeth problems

Hi, I have a mini lop that had to have his teeth burred every month as one bottom one grew too long. I finally made the decision to have his incisors removed as his molars were being affected on one side. It has really been the best thing for him. He manages to eat his dried food and green stuff just as before. He has more life in him now and seems so much happier than he was and its great not to have to put him through the stress of monthly trips to the vets. It was amazing how quickly he recovered from the operation after me being so scared of taking him for the op. Good luck with your two. Pam

Ah, thanks AlisonA! Many vets here still clip and teach clipping, although some do use dremel-type tools. Incisor removal surgery is pretty rare here, too.

Oh I have a rabbit like that but he was chewing on the bars of his cage and pulled them outward so he has bottom bucked teeth!
Now he has to go to a vet once a week to get his teeth cut :cry:

I think it would be best to have the incisors removed on both rabbits. Clipping can be very dangerous because the force of the clp can cause the tooth to splinter. then as the teeth begin to grow out again several "teeth" can begin to grow out of the rabbit gum, which is very painful.

im back from the vets

they are going to operate on waffles's teeth next week and they burred sassi's today as they are not as bad as waffles.

il see how she gets on and if im still not happy then i will get sassi's removed as well.

just one question... when a rabbit gets its teeth burred, does it have to go under anesthetic? cause i asked if i could see what she did and she said yes, so i held sasi will she filled down her teeth. it seemed painless and only took a few minutes...????

The burring really isn't bad. The vet let me watch her do it to a little Nethie the other day, it was really quick and the rabbit didn't get upset. She said that once they get used to it many will sit there quite calmly and not even struggle. The nethie was having it done for the first time, but even so didn't seem too bothered. The teeth are left nice and smooth so they can't cut the tongue and there is no chance of them breaking and damaging the gum. If you have a vet that will do it without anesthetic then the incisor removal is not really necessary unless there are root problems as well. A toothless rabbit will have trouble grooming themself as well as needing their food cut up, also some of the teeth may well regrow meaning either a dangerous sticky out tooth or more surgery :? One of Rowan's bottom teeth is growing back - the vet told me at the time that it hadn't come out well :( and when Rosie arrived she had a single bottom tooth. She also has peg teeth that keep regrowing that she sometimes knocks loose which causes her pain. So it is not always the best option, although in some cases it is. Rowan needed his done as the teeth were malformed and painful. And a rabbit that is getting weepy eyes may have the incisor roots pressing on the tear duct and nasty problems may be stopped by having them removed. Each case needs to be considered individually.

Back